Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grid boys

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote View Post
    All fine and well, except -to twist this argument around a bit... this thread only came about because some people seem to be getting all twisted about a bloke in a suit standing by a race car, and start whining about foolish political correctness gone mad by gawd it's 2015, who cares ?
    I dunno, the 'faux sensitivity' seems spot on to me. Because that's what it is. I can't count the number of times well-known people made PC remarks only to be caught out in the undertow of a thought-process later exposed to indicate otherwise.

LBJ, Sharone Stone, whoever, it doesn't matter, since - as this thread indicates - it's about people. People, at any social level, will say or do things not necessarily to benefit others, but to make themselves feel good.

If let's say, the sport is indeed promoting lifestyles/"tolerance" then for instance, I would like to see how the F1 community would handle another curb-crawling case, similar to Scheckter's.

Illegal? Yes, in some countries at least. Unethical? That would depend on one's perspective, of course.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

2. Likes: Jag_Warrior (2nd June 2015)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Conclusive proof that human civilization has passed it's peak, and slowly descending into a rabble.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    What a surprise that it should be the right-wing Americans posting the whinging, "WHY CAN'T EVERYTHING STAY THE SAME 'COS I CAN'T COPE WITH CHANGE?", boorish drivel. Honestly, get a grip. Some men appeared on the grid of a motor race instead of some women. So what? Get over it. Personally, I'm delighted the world is developing in a way people like you can't take. Proves we're doing something right as a society.

5. Likes: donKey jote (30th May 2015),N4D13 (30th May 2015)
    Umm... doing right in society?.... How?

Defensive architecture for rough sleepers?.... or transitioning of euro F1 venues to autocrat regions (as a result of capitalist extortion)?

Got a ways to go yet, don't you think?

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AAReagles View Post
    Umm... doing right in society?.... How?

Defensive architecture for rough sleepers?.... or transitioning of euro F1 venues to autocrat regions (as a result of capitalist extortion)?

Got a ways to go yet, don't you think?
    Before one of your oh-so-witty compatriots arrives to say that I presumably approve of such things as you mention because I'm a communist, or some similarly skewed nonsense, let me say that I utterly deplore those and many other facets of our societal development. But there is also plenty that I find pleasing, including a great deal that pisses off those on the political right, causing them to moan about 'political correctness'.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell View Post
    Before one of your oh-so-witty compatriots arrives to say that I presumably approve of such things as you mention because I'm a communist, or some similarly skewed nonsense, let me say that I utterly deplore those and many other facets of our societal development..
    That's okay, I'm of the white-trash tribe, I'm the kinda guy that gives communism a bad name. Not you!

Anyways - point taken. I see why you stated what you did earlier, as I sensed something was amiss. Wasn't your style - not even with the debates between us long ago.

Carry on.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    First, I really don't care if they put farm animals in front of the cars. I seldom get to go to races anymore and I wouldn't see them, any more than I could have seen Bob and Buster in Monaco. Second, my point is and remains about those who observe something entirely superficial and think that makes some sort of difference to the bigger picture, when there really are serious issues to be dealt with. I don't care if it's the Bob and Buster show or having a winless driver with no racecraft on a team, simply for appearance sake. If people would get their heads out of the clouds, and if you believe that there are gender issues in F1, if you focus on these totally silly things (rather than why Sheryl Sandberg isn't sponsoring a talented female in GP3 or GP2), then either you don't really think that's an issue, or you don't know how to correct a problem. I get paid to make changes to organizations. But I focus my time and effort on making changes that actually contribute to real improvements. I don't waste my time (or the company's money) making superficial changes for the sake of making appearance based changes, just so that there is something shiny that makes certain types of people happy.

Last point, if I am now considered "right wing", the person making that observation would have to be living on the far left of the political spectrum. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Whatever floats your boat. So give a cheer for Bob and Buster, and also hope that Eurocare is able to launch another attack, so that alcohol advertising will be banned from F1. There's some more feel good, PC "change" for you. Don't be a muppet. Learn to look below the surface.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    First, I really don't care if they put farm animals in front of the cars. ....
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

11. Likes: donKey jote (7th June 2015)