Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend View Post
    How many spectators have died watching a marathon?

How many spectators have died at any sporting event that you can name? How about any sporting event, anywhere in Europe in the last 5 years?

Your view is naive and narrowminded to say the least. Take some time - educate yourself.

http://www.gov.scot/About/Review/mot...-review/Papers

You think the MSA is going to take any risks at an event that they own to pander your individual, simplistic golden view of some past era?
    Woof! 0-Personal in 3.1 sec from a standing start.

Spectators die every week at sporting events in Europe - take some time to educate yourself. Cardiac arrest, fan violence etc. Rock climbers (participants, I know, but involving costly rescue resources) kill themselves every season.
    The following link details the case of a spectator killed by a cyclist collision a couple of months ago -Europe I think you'll find
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...e-crash-160599
    No major changes planned for UK road racing this summer.
    Then there's the IoM TT..... How many spectators killed every year (albeit taking their own rigs onto the course)?
    Without unnecessary tit for tatting - it would seem you are possibly too close to the wood to see the trees. The events of the Jim Clark were tragic, but the reaction is not well-considered, it is knee-jerk!
    Do you realise that a Scottish Gov. enquiry report, while instructive actually has no legal significance in England and Wales? Of course it's heresy to not go with the flow so such facts are conveniently forgotten.
    I'm not longing for some non-existent golden age and know that there are less well-organised WRC events from the point of view of safety throughout the calendar
    However, I know where I need to be to take care of myself and those with me. While I may have issues with the way some foreign marshals behave I will always obey their directions.

A far better spectator experience can be had at the Monte, Sardinia, Germany and Spain (to name 4 events I have personal experience of). While all of them are more restricted than they used to be you can't complain when for 3 of the events there is no admission charge and in the case of Germany a far more reasonable 60 euros for the Rally Pass.

Oh and while I don't usually do this, I feel I ought to say that as a Chartered Fellow of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health I do know a little about risk profiling and control.
    Last edited by Mintexmemory; 29th May 2015 at 15:57.
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

2. Likes: 306 Cosworth (1st June 2015),AndyRAC (29th May 2015),Fast Eddie WRC (29th May 2015)
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    I have to say, I do think there has been a slight overreaction from the MSA regarding safety. The sport has a pretty good safety record, yet 2 fatal incidents in recent years has resulted in talks of a ‘ban’ for the sport. Something doesn’t add up. Yes, of course review and implement improvements, but talk of the end of forest rallying seems bizarre. Over the last 15 years, ‘only’ 1 of the deaths has happened during a forest rally – all the others were on tarmac events.
    I hope the ‘viewing areas’ have been well thought out – and that some freedom will be allowed for those that are sensible.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    I really hope GB does not return to the strict sheep pen days. I think the balance seems alright as it is.

It's been a huge overreaction, on the Plains Rally TV crews were not allowed up the stage 90 minutes before the stage start!

5. Likes: Mintexmemory (30th May 2015)
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
    The actual problem isn't the safety review itself, it's the fact that the forestry commission in all it's guises (natural resources Wales in this case) are insisting all the points are enforced to allow running of events in their forests.
    Individual events are still finding their feet with regards access points and how much to allow/not allow, early days and all that.
    In fairness the MSA have a real no win situation on their hands at present and are doing a pretty good job of trying to be constructive in the face of a sole provider who they rely on ...

7. Likes: Mintexmemory (30th May 2015)
    Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    I agree completely that the MSA is in a no-win situation here. They're being hamstrung by obsessive health and safety legislation brought about by an increase in lawsuit culture and massive press overreactions due to a sensationalist media.

"Have you or a loved one been hit by a rally car? Worried that your hearing might have been damaged by S2000 cars? Do you have an inferiority complex brought about by the dominance of people called Sebastian? Call WeSueEveryone today for a free consultation to find out how much you're owed by the MSA."

Anyone that goes and stands next to a road where cars are being driven as fast as possible understands the risk they are taking - it's stupid pretending otherwise - but in the blame society we have today, that's an unfortunate by-product.

I don't like the lip service they're paying, but I understand why they feel the need to do so. I don't think it will make any difference to the fan who wants to go stand behind a tree deep in the forests, but they're trying to turn a negative press reaction into a sales pitch for a family-friendly fun event, and who can blame them for that?
    aka Rodger Davies

Having been to the Severn Valley today, I'm afraid it will be 'spectator areas' or nothing. As the last 2 posters have said, the MSA have to bend over backwards, and organisers have to provide 'safe areas' that have been risk assessed.

For the 2nd run I had hoped to go to a spot I usually go to in the SVR; but was politely asked by a marshal not to go roaming, and stick to the 'viewing area'. While disappointed, I did as requested - but had a friendly chat with him about the issues. I don't envy the marshals asking people to use the areas provided.

10. Likes: Allyc85 (30th May 2015)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    It is a real pity that such a beautiful and iconic event like the rally GB is being mauled by the autism of the organisers... they should relax a bit.

12. Likes: 6789 (31st May 2015),Allyc85 (31st May 2015)
    Relax?? After todays news from Estonia, following on from previous incidents, I think we're going to have to put up with 'viewing areas'. The organisers hands are tied - the MSA are under pressure from the HSE.
    It seems as if it is this or no sport.......

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    My fear is that in 3-4 years all countries will do like this. Portugal was praised for a similar policy. In Germany you almost ha to bring binoculars with you to watch the cars.

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    I might give it a miss if it will be that restricted