Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    These people usually aren't drunk, they're just ignorant and/or stupid. Usually it's just local lads who seemingly don't appreciate the risks involved in walking down a live stage, that or they're foolhardy. You also get people who seem like they're familiar with the forests/outdoors, but seemingly just don't 'get' the dangers of a rally, as such they're a a law unto themselves... Frankly I can't see how these people can be eliminated or even educated, unfortunately.
    It can be done...Portuguese rally spectators were, probably, the most foolish around the world 30 years ago, but with a lot of persistence from organizers they've became a responsible rally public.

Mostly since the WRC rejoining in 2007, it was implemented a zero tolerance policy on spectators behavior, making them realize that Portugal Rally couldn't afford more spectators issues.

A large number of safe spectators areas were created at each SS, with a large contingent of marshals and police officers actively restraining people to those areas. The order was simple: if anyone was spectating outside those areas the SS would be cancelled! This risk made real rally fans became also an important part on this conscientiously move, pressuring the ignorant and/or stupid ones. In a very short time these became wiser or simply abandoned.

Because of the long gone years, there's still a prejudge over Portuguese (and maybe the other southern european) rally fans, but everyone should be aware that today's bad examples are elsewhere.

I think it can't be that hard for British rally organizers, with the FIA help, to sort out a proper spectator control plan in order to raise public safety on one of the most iconic WRC rallys.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 306 Cosworth View Post
    I've just rewatched the pacenotes DVD I got before the rally, and Thierry didn't hit a log he hit a tree stump which I can quite clearly see on the DVD and in the videos of his crash too.
    I've seen it again from Neuville's onboard and You and Jan are right: it was a stump, not a log. My mistake!

Either way, I hope that the "anti-cut cornering log device", seen in GB, doesn't spread all over the world...it simply sucks!
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    another video from Kubicas high speed spin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lag...ature=youtu.be
    and then some people are surprised that his car breaks often.
    Last edited by denkimi; 16th November 2015 at 07:05.

Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    The last day of the rally could have been cancelled due to human remains being found on Brenig!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121831

The entire final day of Rally GB came close to being cancelled due to a combination of the extreme weather and the discovery of human remains close to the route.

While the hurricane-force winds and incessant rainfall had been a concern all week, the biggest threat to the World Rally Championship's last day of 2015 came when a spectator erecting a tent next to the Brenig stage on Saturday night found a skeleton.

Police established an exclusion area 300 metres from junction six on Brenig - which was used as both the leg opener and the powerstage on Sunday.

Organisers came up with a possible route that would have reduced the six-mile stage to two miles, but were concerned the whole stage would have been declared inaccessible.

That would have forced the abandonement of the following Alwen stage too, leaving only the short Great Orme stage - from which spectators had to be barred due to the very strong winds.

Rally chief Ben Taylor told Autosport: "We were working with the police and our police liason officers into the early hours.

"If the police had come back and told us the whole area was out of bounds, there was nothing we could do.

"The next concern was that if Brenig was cancelled, we would have to cancel Alwen because there simply wouldn't be room for all the spectators to come out of Brenig and go into one stage.

"So that left us with the Great Orme, a stage which we'd had to clear of spectators because of the gale-force winds.

"Losing the final day was a very real possibility for some time late Saturday night and into Sunday morning."

Ultimately, with the co-operation of the police and swift work from the organisers and Natural Resources Wales workers in clearing felled trees in both Brenig and Alwen, the day ran without any interruptions.

"I can't say enough about the way everybody in this event has pulled together and worked to keep the rally running," said Taylor.

"It's truly humbling to have seen everybody so determined to get through problem after problem."
    Also later in the article they give a timeline of the challenges faced by Rally GB, largely concerning the weather. On Saturday serious consideration was apparently given to cancelling the night stages. This was my fear at the time and one of the reasons I didn't hang around for the second run, as I'd have been suicidal if I had and they cancelled it!
    Last edited by the sniper; 16th November 2015 at 15:03.

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
    have to say the irish crews got great support from their home fans..every voice I heard seened to be irish !!

also thanks to the marshals that stood out in that weather

Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    You're right, I need to echo that, for the marshals to persevere in those conditions was utter dedication, thanks to each and every one for allowing us to enjoy the event.
    aka Rodger Davies

Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
    The spectators in the road on Hafren when ogier passed wouldn't of heard the car coming.We walked down there well before the stage started and the wind was in to your face at about 50mph.
    It was on the 1km straight near the beginning.
    I doubt they were drunk but should of still been expecting the cars.

8. Likes: car (16th November 2015)
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

10. Likes: Allyc85 (17th November 2015),car (16th November 2015)
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts

Why Meeke stands there?

"With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 1,064 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv View Post

Why Meeke stands there?
    Because Julien Ingrassia's arms aren't 2 metres long?
    SimRace Vereniging Nederland
    www.srvn.nl

13. Likes: dimviii (16th November 2015),Nornbugger (16th November 2015)