Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member Jag_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,127
    Like
    48
    Liked 93 Times in 73 Posts

    Indy trivia question: last F1 winner to go on to win the Indy 500?



    Emmo?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    To the right of the left
    Posts
    3,528
    Like
    1
    Liked 68 Times in 58 Posts
    Yes, he is both the last driver who won first in F1 and then Indy. He is also the last F1 champion to win the title and also later win Indy.

    Now, who is the last driver to win Indy and then become F1 champion?
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

  3. #3
    Senior Member Jag_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,127
    Like
    48
    Liked 93 Times in 73 Posts
    Oh man, I got this one! Eddie Cheever! Too easy.

    As an old CART fan and veteran of the forum wars, the winner of the "last" Indy 500: Jacques Vlleneuve.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Roswell, GA, USA
    Posts
    1,087
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Yes, he is both the last driver who won first in F1 and then Indy. He is also the last F1 champion to win the title and also later win Indy.

    Now, who is the last driver to win Indy and then become F1 champion?

    Mario's the only one that comes to mind. Indy winner 1969, F1 champ 1978.
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    1,842
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Yes, he is both the last driver who won first in F1 and then Indy. He is also the last F1 champion to win the title and also later win Indy.

    Now, who is the last driver to win Indy and then become F1 champion?
    You forgot Jacques Villeneuve, Indy 500 Winner in 1995 and F1 World Champion in 1997.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    To the right of the left
    Posts
    3,528
    Like
    1
    Liked 68 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    Oh man, I got this one! Eddie Cheever! Too easy.

    As an old CART fan and veteran of the forum wars, the winner of the "last" Indy 500: Jacques Vlleneuve.
    Correct.

    Now, for extra credit, name all Indy 500 winners who also won in F1.
    Last edited by Starter; 25th May 2015 at 18:27.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

  7. #7
    Senior Member Jag_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Posts
    8,127
    Like
    48
    Liked 93 Times in 73 Posts
    Before, after or either way? This one I'll probably miss, if I do it the honest way without help. I'll give it a shot though: Jim Clarke, Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jacques Villeneuve and Juan Pablo Montoya. I want to say Mark Donohue, but I can't remember if he ever won an F1 race.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    To the right of the left
    Posts
    3,528
    Like
    1
    Liked 68 Times in 58 Posts
    Not bad. You only missed a few. Graham Hill was another Indy winner.

    The others you missed were Bill Vukovich, Tony Ruttman, Pat Flaherty, Sam Hanks, Jimmy Bryan , Roger Ward and Jim Rathman. It was kind of a trick question. The last drivers named were Indy winners when Indy counted for the world championship, so they won in both categories.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mintexmemory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,608
    Like
    332
    Liked 469 Times in 268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Not bad. You only missed a few. Graham Hill was another Indy winner.

    The others you missed were Bill Vukovich, Tony Ruttman, Pat Flaherty, Sam Hanks, Jimmy Bryan , Roger Ward and Jim Rathman. It was kind of a trick question. The last drivers named were Indy winners when Indy counted for the world championship, so they won in both categories.
    No Starter, they won in the WC round run for Indycars but not F1 which was a different spec! So back to your original question it should be 'also won a round of the WDC' not a win in F1 (#pedantic smartarse)
    Kris Meeke on Fire -VW so terrified they quit!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    To the right of the left
    Posts
    3,528
    Like
    1
    Liked 68 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory View Post
    No Starter, they won in the WC round run for Indycars but not F1 which was a different spec! So back to your original question it should be 'also won a round of the WDC' not a win in F1 (#pedantic smartarse)
    You are correct. Though since WDC was/is essentially F1 then "#pedantic smartarse" does apply. And as a PS myself I instantly recognized it.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •