Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    66 LeMans staged finish was even worse than it looked as the second car across the line was declared the winner... This was a terrible disappointment for Ken Miles who expected the triple crown Daytona-Sebring-Le Mans

Kinda makes the Monaco debacle with Hamiltwat look petty
    Absolutely spot on.

With Miles to perish a short time later, it cultured the photo-op decision as a classic case of how NOT to embelish on success.

Wonder how the PR folks at Ford reacted (notice I didn't say 'felt') later on, when an American driver (Miles) was killed in America while sorting out one of THEIR cars.

Yeah, now how's that for a press release. Right out of sunny California.

Edit: Ken Miles was British, not American. Sorry, I got him mixed up w/Masten Gregory.
    Last edited by AAReagles; 4th June 2015 at 03:18.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Webber ended his career with a second place in the brilliant Red Bull. So this was certainly a high. Usually drivers end up nowhere though. It is just not about bad final race results, but generally being stuck in bad cars with the career literally going nowhere. I can't remember, what Barrichello, Trulli, Fisichella, Coulthard, Ralf Schumacher, etc did in their final race, their career was effectively over already. Heidfeld's Lotus-Renault engine blew up I think?

I remember Herbert crashed out violently in his last race. Did he even get injured? But he was having a bad season too anyway.

M. Schumacher ended his first career with a 4th (Brazil 06) and then 7th (Brazil 12), so that was pretty okayish compared to most. Certainly he was a notable feature in those races.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Coulthard crashed on the first turn at Brazil if I remember correctly?
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    It is just not about bad final race results, but generally being stuck in bad cars with the career literally going nowhere....
    The only notable exception to that, as best as I can recollect, would be Michael Andretti. Whether or not he had Senna as a teammate made little difference, he wasn't committed enough (while still living in the states) to achieve what was possible. A blown opportunity given to a bonehead, IMHO.

Last race: 1993 Italian GP, 3rd place - his highest finish in the in the series.
    Last edited by AAReagles; 6th June 2015 at 09:10.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
    I'm trying to think of anyone finishing his career with a win - I can't. Is there one??
    The Peter Collins swansong victory at Silverstone, memorable for those fortunate enough to have witnessed it, almost falls into that category,

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Lauda's swansong race winning with the Brabham-Alfa at Imola 1979 (1st retirement) could be considered among stellar ones, despite Imola was a non-championship race. In his definitive retirement in 1985 he had an accident on lap 57 when was leading the race at Adelaide.

Lauda ranks high on my list: to make a comeback - twice - and get the job done, was almost unbelievable.

His story was much needed after losing Villeneuve, Jones and Pironi within less than a year.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mike Hawthorn`s final race in the Moroccan GP in 58, resulted in him not winning the race, but the world championship by finishing 2nd behind the Moss Vanwall.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Jagboy View Post
    The Peter Collins swansong victory at Silverstone, memorable for those fortunate enough to have witnessed it, almost falls into that category,
    He was killed in the next race, so it doesn't come into the same category as a driver's final race before retiring.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    The classic case for going out with style surely belongs to Sir Jack Brabham. In his 126th GP, Mexico 1970. he qualified 4th and was in for a podium behind the Ferraris when his Cosworth blew. All this when he was 44 years old and still ultra competitive. Except for atrocious luck in 1970 he could have had 2 or even 3 wins instead of the 1 at S Africa. He picked the perfect time to hang it up, while still at the top of his game.