Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts

Drivers Final Races

For the next instalment of our historical retrospective, I would like to look back at driver's swansong races, and which ones went out with a bang, or a whimper. Just whichever ones stand out to you I guess. I would like to nominate a few

Stellar (or good) swansong races
    Martin Brundle - Japan 1996, Jordan - a good 5th place in his final race.

Michael Schumacher - 2006 and 2012 - very strong races in Brazil, overcoming problems on both occasions to finish 4th and 7th respectively.

Gerhard Berger - Jerez 1997 - 4th place, apparently slipstreaming Irvine on the final straight to steal 4th place!

And in Rallying
    Tommi Makinen - Wales Rally GB 2003, Subaru - despite being a spent force by then, rallied (ahem) himself for one final push to fight with Mcrae, on a rally he hated, to score 3rd place (he only had one other podium that season, 2nd in Sweden).

Carlos Sainz (Snr) - Greece 2005, Citroen - Having retired after 2004 on a poor note having retired from Australia, Carlos got the chance to put things right by subbing for Francois Duval who was in the doghouse. He took 4th in Turkey before finishing off for good with a podium for 3rd place on the Acropolis, before promptly tersely asking Citroen if they would mind not bothering him again to do any more rallies!

And now the bad...
    Have to choose Damon Hill for Jordan in 1999 sadly; slipping off at the Spoon curve as in '95, having been nowhere. He then parked his healthy car and slinked off, and that was that.

I would also have to choose Nigel Mansell as well then. Nowhere in Spain 1995 for McLaren, went off lazily then trundled back to the pits a lap down (only a third of the race gone?), basically went "sod this" and walked off not to be seen again. All this while Ron Dennis of all people, wanting everything to be just so, had top brass from Marlboro visiting that race!

Nick Heidfeld - 2011 Hungarian GP, Lotus - Went out in an inferno.

Sutil and Gutierrez last year - 15th and 16th in Abu Dhabi, though the car would have to take some blame.
    Last edited by rjbetty; 22nd May 2015 at 16:34.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    One that immediately came to mind was Jim Clark's win in the 68' season opener on New Years Day at Kyalami...

Others would be Lauda in Montreal in 78', then surprisingly coming back in 82' before finishing it finally in Austrailia in 85'. And Andretti as a temp for Ferrari in 82', helping them secure the constructor's title during a dreadful season. His last race at Ceasar Palace grand prix, retiring after suspension failure.

Fisi's final race at Abu Dhabi 2009 was cr@p... (sob)
    Last edited by rjbetty; 23rd May 2015 at 03:36. Reason: Edited mild swearing, because I wanted to!

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    A shout for Rene Arnoux?

41 years old terrible season for Ligier. Last race in Australia 1989 qualified 26th out of 30 to sneak into the race last on the grid.

Then had a collision on Lap 4.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    I'm trying to think of anyone finishing his career with a win - I can't. Is there one??
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
    I'm trying to think of anyone finishing his career with a win - I can't. Is there one??
    It could have been Nigel Mansell, but nooooooo, he had to try to squash himself into a McLaren didn't he?

Alain Prost was close, but didn't quite win Australia '93.

Mika Hakkinen also won his penultimate race.

Frentzen and Irvine both bagged a podium in their final few races, while Vitaly Petrov came oh so close to a point for Caterham in Brazil 2012.

Jan Magnussen finished 6th in his final ever F1 race in Canada '98. Too late though.

However, Jean Alesi crashed out of his final race; the only time he DNFed all year...
    Last edited by rjbetty; 25th May 2015 at 02:49.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    AAReagles already did mention someone - Jim Clark
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty View Post
    Fisi's final race at Abu Dhabi 2009 was cr@p... (sob)
    Well... at least he didn't end up like Clay Regazzoni, in a wheel chair after survivng a direct hit into the hairpin at Long Beach (1980).

Interesting Arnoux was brought up. I was thinking of him as well. I liked how he handled the politics w/Prost & Renault. Unshakled and off to Ferrari in 1983, I was hoping he would pull it off. Damn near did too.

Another Frenchman I admired was Jacques Laffite. He always seemed easy-going. Was unfortunate to tangle w/the remains of the Shadow of Tom Pryce at Kyalami. And sad to see his GP career end at Brands Hatch (86') with broken legs. Looked like 1979 was going to be his and Ligier's year, but....
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

Other than what rjbetty provided, I could only think of Alan Jones who won that damn stupid Caesar's Palace GP in 1981; but he made a couple of (very brief) comebacks that would have been better to avoid. Teams Arrows and Haas.

I liked how Jacky Ickx went out. After tangling w/Derek Daly at the Glen' in 79', he left F1 and pursued what he did best - endurance racing. Went on to win Le Mans two more times (1981 & 1982), as well as the Paris-Dakar Rally (1983). Still can't believe he pulled off that dramatic 69' Le Mans win after his walking protest (against the running start), at the start of the race. He won by a 100 meters - the closest margin in Le Mans history.

Edit: That cheesey 1966 Ford victory is technically the closest margin of victory, but it was staged. Sorry.
    Last edited by AAReagles; 25th May 2015 at 09:45.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AAReagles View Post
    Other than what rjbetty provided, I could only think of Alan Jones who won that damn stupid Caesar's Palace GP in 1981; but he made a couple of (very brief) comebacks that would have been better to avoid. Teams Arrows and Haas.

I liked how Jacky Ickx went out. After tangling w/Derek Daly at the Glen' in 79', he left F1 and pursued what he did best - endurance racing. Went on to win Le Mans two more times (1981 & 1982), as well as the Paris-Dakar Rally (1983). Still can't believe he pulled off that dramatic 69' Le Mans win after his walking protest (against the running start), at the start of the race. He won by a 100 meters - the closest margin in Le Mans history.

Edit: That cheesey 1966 Ford victory is technically the closest margin of victory, but it was staged. Sorry.
    66 LeMans staged finish was even worse than it looked as the second car across the line was declared the winner as MclAren and Hulme had covered a greater distance than Amon and Miles. McLaren left a small margin to Miles and it was expected than Miles/Hulme would be declared winners after the examination of the photo finish. But the Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO), the body responsible for the Le Mans 24 hour race and the Circuit de la Sarthe declared the McLaren/Amon car had won the race, having covered more distance in 24 hours, as it had started the race several places behind the Miles/Hulme car. The ACO estimated the difference to 8 meters ie McLaren would have needed to be 8+ metres behind Miles. This was a terrible disappointment for Ken Miles who expected the triple crown Daytona-Sebring-Le Mans

Kinda makes the Monaco debacle with Hamiltwat look petty