Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    I think there is a difference between legend and all time great. I mean Gilles Villeneuve is considered a legend by some, but did not get the chance to become an all time great.

All time greats for me.

Fangio, Ascari, G. Hill, Jim Clark, Jack Brabham, Lauda, Piquet, Prost, Senna, Schumacher, Vettel (just for 4 titles in a row)
    It is interesting, Steve. To try to define different phrases.

Legend is more like a "mythical" status. It doesn't need to attach results to get to the memory, it doesn't even need a driver to be great or have great skills for him to become legendary.

It is just everyone's personal brain memory, what they remember and what they consider as memorable, remarkable, great. Minardi is considered as a legendary F1 team, largely because they managed to stay in F1 for so long as The Back-end Team! So it is the opposite of being legendary based on performance. You are legendary based on lack of performance!

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyQ View Post
    In your opinion who else ranks as a true legend of F1?
    I think for me Fangio, Clark, Senna and Schumacher are a great quartet of legends. I am often torn whether to add Prost there as well, so it is sort of 4.5 for me.

Behind them comes the list of "tier 2 legends" (weird phrase I know!), who were also great drivers, in some periods perhaps even the best on the grid. Here the list gets very long and I am less sure, who to add. Just to start with: Ascari, Moss, Stewart, Lauda, G.Villeneuve.

Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel also have a legitimate claim to be there. They have been a major force in F1 for some time, and in Alonso's case for more than a decade. The only reason, why it feels strange to add them is because they are active in F1 and thus do not feel like "legends" yet!

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    This thread is about Senna...
    Culpable driving shouldn't have been tolerated by the FIA.
    Yes the title does indicate it is about Senna; however the OP did ask other members about their thoughts of other possible great drivers. Which was responded accordingly.

Also, I quite agree that questionable and deliberate driving performances should be addressed with consequences.

Perhaps if Senna was penalized properly to begin with, this sort of rubbish wouldn't have been adapted by other drivers.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    How about Giancarlo Bahetti as a true F1 legend?

Why him? I hear you ask - didn't only ever win 1 GP?

Yes he did only win once, but it was in his first GP drive - no other driver has achieved this and it is doubtful that they will. Hamilton came close with 3rd on debut and Jaques Vileneuve finished 2nd to Damon Hill

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    Yes he did only win once, but it was in his first GP drive - no other driver has achieved this and it is doubtful that they will.
    Except:

Giuseppe Farina - British GP 1950.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

6. Likes: steveaki13 (18th May 2015)
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    How about Panis. He won the Monaco GP the hardest race to win according to ex drivers
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Except:

Giuseppe Farina - British GP 1950.
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZ wrong Rollo. Bitish Gp 1950 was NOT Farina's first GP, first WDCGP yes but he had been racing in international GPs for years before someone decided to call things a world championship

Plus Baghetti's only win was his first race. Farina could be included as a legend though, because he was and always will be the first World Champion and you are correct he did win the first World Championship GP
    Last edited by anfield5; 19th May 2015 at 00:08.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZ wrong Rollo. Bitish Gp 1950 was NOT Farina's first GP, first WDCGP yes but he had been racing in international GPs for years before someone decided to call things a world championship
    Right then, we take your definition:

Ferenc Szisz - 1906 French GP

By any definition of what you want to call a Grand Prix, there must have been a first one and whoever won that must've won on debut.

Maybe we call the De Dion Steam Tractor which won the first recorded motor race between Paris and Rouen in 1894 the first.
    Last edited by Rollo; 19th May 2015 at 01:37.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Right then, we take your definition:

Ferenc Szisz - 1906 French GP

By any definition of what you want to call a Grand Prix, there must have been a first one and whoever won that must've won on debut.

Maybe we call the De Dion Steam Tractor which won the first recorded motor race between Paris and Rouen in 1894 the first.
    Fair point Rollo.

I was simply saying that Farina didn't win on debut where as Baghetti won his first GP. But as you say whoever won THE first GP must have won their first GP and son on

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    I am often torn whether to add Prost there as well, so it is sort of 4.5 for me.
    How can you be torn, when overall, he's the best driver of all time so far?

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    How about Panis. He won the Monaco GP the hardest race to win according to ex drivers
    Webber likes pumping himself up.