Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

VW in F1?, Who Would Represent Them?

Regular news updates, race reviews and previews as well as FAQs at http://motorsportcentral.co.uk/

Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    May the forza be with you

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    I have been thinking about this. Here are my worthless thoughts (since I am usually quite wrong don't take too much notice )

Audi - good sportscar pedigree but none in F1, have already stated that Audi will not enter F1

VW - saloon car and rally pedigree is strong, alos been involved in several single seat series, but F1 doesn't sit with the 'peoples car' tag

Skoda - no

Bently - plenty of pre WW2 success, nothing since, and again F1 doesn't seem to fit the profile of a luxury car brand

Porsche - obvious choice, have won F1 titles post 1980, are a performance car/sportscar brand, biggest problem for porsche is Mercedes-Benz doing so well.

Bugatti - had a couple of F1 racers in the 50's and actually introduced the rear-engined GP car to the world championship, a few years before Cooper made it work

Seat - no

Lamborghini - have been involved in a previous incarnation of the company with no success

Suzuki - no

I would love to see VAG in F1 but I would like to see them resurrect the old Auto Union badge for F1, for two reasons. 1. The sense of history - when Merc were dominating prewar it was Auto Union who were the only marque that could beat them.
    2. It would isoloate and direct the team away from the corporate monster that is VAG

Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Audi and Red Bull. A change at the top of VW might make it a possibility.
    Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent

5. Likes: Zico (6th May 2015)
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    I would love to see VAG in F1 but I would like to see them resurrect the old Auto Union badge for F1, for two reasons. 1. The sense of history - when Merc were dominating prewar it was Auto Union who were the only marque that could beat them.
    2. It would isoloate and direct the team away from the corporate monster that is VAG
    I like this idea a lot. Chances of it happening might be remote but it would be nice to see.

7. Likes: Zico (6th May 2015)
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    Hear hear.
    +1 to this.

It has to be the Auto Union Type E doesn't it? Maybe attach the DKW name to it somewhere. DKW "Des Knaben Wunsch"
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    I'd like to see Suzuki go for it!

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Audi or Porsche. Both have racing/rallying pedigree (if not exactly in F1) and are big brands in most markets. Of course they would need to do a better job than Toyota did
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    Lamborghini would be a good choise. Heritage + would suite the image

12. Likes: A FONDO (10th May 2015)
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Audi or Porsche. Both have racing/rallying pedigree (if not exactly in F1) and are big brands in most markets. Of course they would need to do a better job than Toyota did
    Yeah... not Porsche... especially no at as an engine supplier... only 3 Drivers Titles and 2 Constructors Titles.
    Also not as an outright builder either... Dan Gurney only won the 1962 French GP in a Porsche 804
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

14. Likes: Tazio (7th May 2015)