Thread: A great weekend

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts

A great weekend

Just had a really nice time at Summit Point. It was at a SCCA Majors race. The weather was good, friends were great, and the racing was mostly good. One photo finish in one race group and the winner of the big formula race was a 15 year old kid by the name of Andres Soori who set the all time track record of 103.973. Most will say so what, but the new record is close to three seconds faster than the old record. This kid may have an interesting future.

What was your last great weekend?
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    I was expecting you to say that you were at VIR for HyperFest.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    I was expecting you to say that you were at VIR for HyperFest.
    I wouldn't touch Hyperfest with an eleven foot Lithuanian. They were thrown out of Summit after last years fiasco. I haven't got a lot of use for NASA either. Their safety culture is poor and that's on a good day.
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I wouldn't touch Hyperfest with an eleven foot Lithuanian. They were thrown out of Summit after last years fiasco. I haven't got a lot of use for NASA either. Their safety culture is poor and that's on a good day.
    I didn't know any of that. If you can't share details here, would you send me a PM?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    I didn't know any of that. If you can't share details here, would you send me a PM?
    Hyperfest - alcohol and "other" consumables seem to be a common thread among the spectators. I've heard that the track uninvited NASA to hold it there again after last year - that's why it was at VIR this year.

As for NASA itself, there's a very interesting video (couldn't find the link) from Summit last year where there is a tow vehicle coming counter race with a car on the rope, literally a couple feet off the track at Start/Finish, and the starter is throwing the green flag for the next race group. The potential for several fatalities was huge. But that's just typical of how NASA does things.
    -- Smokey Stover

Thanks. I was supposed to be at VIR for Hyperfest but illness prevented the trip. Maybe I won't bother with it next year either.

I'm not against people having a good time with their favorite beverage - as long as they don't run over me. But I'm a bit long in the tooth for things like NOPI and the like now.