Hybrid View

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Fascinating to read so many conflicting opinions about the game. I'm on the simulation handling mode.

Haven't sampled too many cars, the Lancer Evo X was fun to drive on Michigan, on tarmac I find it a bit odd. Although I can't recall any rally game that nailed down the feeling for me (I have never driven a rally car).

I have to agree with Adler on the stages, at first the routes are nice (although I find the space of the call outs very inconsistent, especially on Wales), but after some stages you realize that everything has a pattern. The exact same combination of corners appear in Spain, the forest to fields transition has maximum 4 or so available combination in Wales, etc. Very repetitive, fortunately, the time of day effects can mix up things a bit, but altogether a huge let-down. I just played a bit of DiRT Rally a week ago, and the variety of the Greek stages are superb in contrast to DiRT4.

I can't recommend the game at full price if you have DiRT Rally. The 5 locations for rally racing is not so many, and the random stage generator can't do wonders. The graphics are okay, but not a step-up from previous games from Codemasters. I hope it's the swan song of the current EVO engine and it gets a proper update, maybe a complete rewrite with DX12.

Why there's no rally game with proper tarmac stages - Spain is very smooth IMHO. It would be great to drive Ypres, Barum, etc.
    Last edited by [RMC]Pip; 12th June 2017 at 13:14. Reason: typo