Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Very subjective but then this forum business in general is

Are we ranking only on current form or historically? (I mean Kimi used to be much better than he is rt now, same with Massa before and after his shunt)
    Erm. Let's put it this way. Rank both based on current form and historically. It does not mean that based on P2 in Bahrain Räikkönen is the best driver. It doesn't work like that. It also doesn't work so that Räikkönen is the best, because he was the best in 2005, so that is "historic". Just like Michael Schumacher wasn't the best in 2010-2012, even if he had been a decade ago.

My personal approach is to take the summary of last couple of years. Which means the form is "current" enough. We are not rating Massa based on 2008, but what he has done in the last few years. We also can't rate only based on last couple of races, because driver forms fluctuate. Even during a season they have better and worse periods. As the saying goes - form is temporary, but class permanent. We can evaluate, what can they do over a full season and include their general (in)consistency trends. If we evaluate last few years instead of last few races or races 10 years ago, I think the picture would be somewhat adequate.
    Last edited by jens; 23rd April 2015 at 20:57.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    For me, not so far of from Jens

The Hulk has lost some of his edge, I think losing out on a top seat yet again has left him jaded.
    Verstappen looks like he may jump up a level or two when we do this again next year.
    Rosberg, not in the same class as his car.
    Vettel, just hanging in there at the top table.

Tiers:
    A: Hamilton, Alonso, Ricciardo, Vettel
    B: Rosberg, Button, Bottas, Räikkönen, Grosjean
    C: Massa, Pérez, Kvyat, Verstappen, Nasr, Hülkenberg
    D: Ericsson, Stevens, Merhi, Sainz
    Z: Maldonado

3. Likes: Tazio (24th April 2015)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Tier One: Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Villeneuve

Then the rest of tiers as in jens's post.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Interesting that everyone apart from Taz has at least 3 drivers in their top tier, but everyone agrees on only 2 of them.
    I'd go with Taz's assessment that the top tier is Alonso and Hamilton alone.

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    It's interesting how many people don't rate Vettel. You don't win 4 championships without being quick. I don't think Vettel is in the same class as Schumacher, Fangio and Prost who also won at least 4 championships. Nor do I think he's better than than Senna, Stewart and Clark who won fewer championships. He is, however, very good and it's a little unfair to denigrate his achievements because "he only won in the best car". Not a single championship has been won in a bad car. It simply doesn't happen.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    It's interesting how many people don't rate Vettel. You don't win 4 championships without being quick. I don't think Vettel is in the same class as Schumacher, Fangio and Prost who also won at least 4 championships. Nor do I think he's better than than Senna, Stewart and Clark who won fewer championships. He is, however, very good and it's a little unfair to denigrate his achievements because "he only won in the best car". Not a single championship has been won in a bad car. It simply doesn't happen.
    Most would agree, however, that championships have been won by drivers who were perhaps not all-time legend material, but who had the best cars. Is Vettel one of those? For me, the fact that he won 4 championships doesn't provide an answer to this, because they were all with the same car and team. After 2010 we knew he was good enough to win a championship in a Newey Red Bull, and after 2013 we still knew the same.

Great achievements in multiple cars/teams are an important element of greatness as a driver. It provides a kind of proof of the driver's contribution to the team's success. I think people will change their views of Vettel if he performs exceptionally in the Ferrari. His win in Malaysia might ultimately prove more important to his legacy than his 2nd, 3rd or 4th championships, especially if it's followed by more in the same vein.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    These kinds of comparisons are not scientific, and for me the picture is always evolving. I probably would have put Seb in the top spot except for two reasons; the thrashing he took from Danny boy last season, and the manner in which he ruined his race in Bahrain, and that is fresh in my mind. It's only one race, but it reminded me of how often in the past he's gotten away with driving "off piste", taking advantage of very generous paved runoff areas, specifically in the high speed corners. This time he forgot about that small gravel area coming back on to the track and it bit him in the a$$. Kimi is a great driver, and only 13 points shy of his total for 19 races last season. Is he that much better this season, I doubt it? Kimi is too inconsistent, and unadaptable to rank at the top tier. Perhaps I've rated him a little low. But, if I place him higher I feel like I've done Felipe, Britany, Rogro, and Jense a disservice. I think most on this forum would put him a little higher than I have, and that is fine, I could be wrong with that, and every other one of my picks. I believe this is why, traditionally the WCC is considered the more meaningful championship. It almost always lands in the camp of the team with the best car.......
    as does the WDC
    Last edited by Tazio; 24th April 2015 at 16:52.
    May the forza be with you

9. Likes: Big Ben (27th April 2015),rjbetty (7th June 2015)
    Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    I will not write down one of thoose lists, but one thought,how many talkative fans from germany are there on F1 blogs?

Is this a trick question??

Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01 View Post
    I will not write down one of thoose lists, but one thought,how many talkative fans from germany are there on F1 blogs?
    Ok Mia I'll take the bait, how many are there?
    I could justify the amount of rhetoric on English Blogs, and Forums compared to their German counterparts by saying something like; Germans are not as effusive as Anglos, but I avoid those kinds of generalizations, because I don't speak, or read German so I don't really know what they write about. TBH I've sold my soul to the Anglo Mafia because in my opinion their are no really good forums in The Home of the Brave, so I come here.
    With all due respect could you explain what the inference was by your comment I've quoted....please?
    And does that make Germans better than Anglos because they are more guarded in their opinions?
    Thanks in advance,
    Six Tenths