Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Dakar 2016

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    In my opinion when something is ambiguous it shall not be a basis for penalty. Usually what matters as a basis for any infringement decision is what is written black on white not what is said. Just saying. We can speak about moral aspects etc. but that's another thing.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

2. Likes: itix (16th January 2016),pantealex (15th January 2016),René (15th January 2016),vino_93 (15th January 2016),zoolander36 (15th January 2016)
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I wish Sven Quandt will immediately withdraw the appeal in true spirit of the Dakar. Yes the organizers made a mistake and probably Peter gained an advantage, how much we don't know. However like a true sportsman Quandt and his team could have struck back on the field rather than fight over a spilled milk. A couple of stages to go and anything can happen. If Mini were to fight on the field and win on the field here on-wards it would be a far more popular team.

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MitFan View Post
    Yes the organizers made a mistake and probably Peter gained an advantage, how much we don't know.
    Not so significant amount I believe.... But there should be more about this, all other crews respected organisers "request"
    Last edited by stefanvv; 15th January 2016 at 17:44.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv View Post
    Not so significant amount I believe.... But there should be more about this, all other crews respected organisers "request"
    Yes, to ensure that such mistakes do not happen again. I have seen only what has been posted in this forum and going by that, a time penalty would go against the spirit of the Dakar.. I feel. The organizers maybe forced to enforce a penalty since Mini has appealed. That's why I felt they should withdraw that appeal. Howcome none of the other teams have protested?
    Last edited by MitFan; 15th January 2016 at 18:10.

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MitFan View Post
    Howcome none of the other teams have protested?
    May be because not interested not fighting for the victory?!? Kind of "just let it go, not so important". But in general yes, I agree Mini should withdraw this appeal as it is not 100% justified, it is the organisers that should take the responsibility and as I understood they agree with their mistake and everything should go as initially planned.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Bunch of amateurs

Amaury Sport Organisation (ASO) - which organizes Tour de France as well - are very professional when it comes to marketing and other sorts of making money. Unfortunately they are quite amateurish in everything around the sporting aspects of the Dakar. That unfortunately includes the regulations as well. That was so long no problem as no or only one proper factory team was at the start.

Anyone remember 2004 when Volkswagen changed the engine on Jutta Kleinschmidt's Touareg? She was excluded by the stewards, Volkswagen appealed and won. Basically because it was nowhere written in the regulations that engine changes are not allowed. Since then it is . . . .

ASO is also notorious for changing details of the rules during the driver's briefings, but not handing out proper bulletins. Something similar to that happend in Peterhansel gate.

For whatever reason Peterhansel needed more fuel for that stage than calculated by the Peugeot engineers. He noted that after the first part and asked his team what to do. Somebody very cleverly found a loophole in the regulations. Hats off for that, that's part of professional motorsport. But we are talking about the victory, not about position 10 or 11. So it's also part of professional motorsport, that Mini is appealing the steward's decision.

If anybody is to blame, it's ASO.

8. Likes: dimviii (15th January 2016),Mirek (15th January 2016)
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Mikko faster at wp11!

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Something about the amateurism... I normally use Opera browser but when I enter dakar.com I get 2015 website. Only by using direct link http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/ I can get 2016 version.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Mikko won the stage.

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Something about the amateurism... I normally use Opera browser but when I enter dakar.com I get 2015 website. Only by using direct link http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/ I can get 2016 version.
    Really can't understand why rally world in general is so much allergic to some digital update.
    Most of websites are more ancient than 90's, the interface is more like a horror movie, the word "user experience" are something like a mirage.
    It's very strange because web and apps are the only way an entire race can be followed.
    Really, me and some of my collaborators can do better job than the actual ones for Dakar, WRC o ERC for one tenth of they money they spent for their websites/apps.