Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1996 f1

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    ...even better than the sound was the vibration in the air that your whole body felt because of the sound, you could literally feel the noise of the engines in every bone in your body.

Memories. I remember feeling a bit nauseous from the air being pushed out and sucked back in behind a car as it missiled past. (Could've been the 50 beers but I'll go with wobbly air).

Before Melbourne stole it, the Grand Prix was held in Adelaide at a far superior circuit.

There was a spot between turns 1, 2 and onto 3 - the cars came through at blistering speed. The flick change of direction at those corners defied physics.

Unlike the 50 yards or more of today, in those days we could actually be within a dozen feet of the cars. The noise and vibrations and the air throw of that era hurt my face so much that I was left with sore teeth.

Nobody wanted to talk, why talk during an F1 race - feel the power was what it was all about. Whenever I read that today's "quiet cars are good because it allows us to talk during the race", I throw up in my mouth.

F1 needs to die so that it can be re-born in its old likeness.

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    ...The best engine noises were from the 3.5 litre era.
    Superb.

But it's more important to me in F1, that it's a natural/understandable progression of the automotive industry.
    I don't understand this statement. Historically, any technology developed for F1 may be adopted by automakers as a consequence.

The problem that I see killing F1 is the madness around energy recovery systems. That appears to have been driven by the automotive industry and has been a costly, environmentally damaging and fruitless exercise.

If you doubt what I say look to see how many actual hybrids there are on the roads so many years after the sky started falling.

These auto makers have changed F1 in a way that it may never recover from. I fully support Formula E being incorporated into the F1 weekend. I do not support the incorporation of ER systems in F1 that will likely only find a home in long distance freight.
    Last edited by Whyzars; 12th April 2015 at 10:47.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzars View Post
    If you doubt what I say look to see how many actual hybrids there are on the roads so many years after the sky started falling.
    Maybe for you guys, but in the UK I'm seeing more and more hybrids on the roads. I even saw a Nissan Leaf this morning and quite often see a Renault Twizzy on my way to work (and that's in the country bumpkin land of the South West). Are they a majority? Hell, no, but definitely becoming more prevalent.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Superb.
    I don't understand this statement. Historically, any technology developed for F1 may be adopted by automakers as a consequence.
    What don't you understand exactly?

The problem that I see killing F1 is the madness around energy recovery systems. That appears to have been driven by the automotive industry and has been a costly, environmentally damaging and fruitless exercise.
    There are bigger problems than that. Too numerous to mention, unless asked.