Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1996 f1

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    The 1996 Australian GP is actually the first one I've ever watched. I don't remember much of it but boring or not I liked it enough to follow F1 to these days. It's true I've lost some interest in the last couple of years. I'm following what happens now from articles mostly. I can take boring or quieter engines. I can't take all these gimmicks, the drs, the semi frozen engines, double points, tyre rules, constant changes to 'improve the show' etc. I would honestly like to hear one driver just say '**** this sh1t, this is not the F1 I was dreaming of growing up. I'm out'

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    Tbh, I remember those times being particularly processional. In the 96 AGP, Hill didn't even attempt to pass JV's failing car til it was particularly bad.
    You are right that it is easy to romanticize the past. In reality the main things in which F1 of those days looks superior, were aesthetics - sounds, looks of cars, and things like that.

But other practical things have often been there - including domination, sparse competition, politics behind the scenes, etc.

3. Likes: journeyman racer (2nd April 2015)
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Am I the only one who likes the racing now and actually enjoys the sound of the cars? Guess all those years standing in forests waiting for 6R4s mean that I have a soft spot for a 6 cylinder, to me the V10s are a bit shrill and OTT.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

5. Likes: journeyman racer (2nd April 2015)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    Am I the only one who likes the racing now and actually enjoys the sound of the cars? Guess all those years standing in forests waiting for 6R4s mean that I have a soft spot for a 6 cylinder, to me the V10s are a bit shrill and OTT.
    The type of sound doesn't bother me. But I do like that they're quieter. Like I said in the AGP thread, they were loud enough when they went past you. You couldn't hear them two corners away, and that was good.

Personally? The best engine noises were from the 3.5 litre era. But it's more important to me in F1, that it's a natural/understandable progression of the automotive industry.

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    I was sitting in the stands in Portugal when JV set up and passed Schumi on the outside of the big sweeper. It was a thing of beauty to watch. Bring back the 10s and the wide car!!!!
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    I would honestly like to hear one driver just say '**** this sh1t, this is not the F1 I was dreaming of growing up. I'm out'
    That almost sounds like something Jacques Villeneuve would say.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    Am I the only one who likes the racing now and actually enjoys the sound of the cars?
    It's still the Formula One World championship. It's not perfect but it's the best thing we have. It's still good enough to deserve my support and enthusiasm.
    Last edited by Doc Austin; 3rd April 2015 at 03:49.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roamy View Post
    I was sitting in the stands in Portugal when JV set up and passed Schumi on the outside of the big sweeper.
    Wow! We have someone who was there! One of the memorable moments in GP history. All we need now is someone who was at the 1991 Spanish GP!

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    A few memorable moments for me that year were:

1) DH’s Williams being covered in oil from JV’s Williams after he ran wide in turn 1.
    2) Schumacher’s final lap in Imola where his right front wheel wouldn’t turn or after qualifying on the Saturday where his suspension broke
    3) Schumacher’s formation lap engine failure in France
    4) Schumacher’s incredible Spanish GP drive – showcasing his skills and teaching the rest of the grid a lesson on how to how to drive in the rain along with his two wins in Belgium and Monza.
    5) JV winning in Nurburgring that year. His first F1 race with Schumacher hunting him down right to the end, quicker, just not having the grunt in the Ferrari to pass him.
    6) 1996 Monaco GP – only 6 finishers if I remember correctly. Schumacher made a stupid uncharacteristic mistake in that race as well on the first lap iirc. Olivier Panis’s only win.
    7) Finally, of course, and as already mentioned, JV's pass on Schumacher in Portugal in a fantastic move.
    8) What I missed most after the 1996 season was the loss of Ben Edwards and John Watson as a commentary duo. It was great.

It was pretty obvious, with Schumacher’s move to Ferrari that year, that Damon Hill was going to be WDC but at least JV kept him honest throughout the year and made it somewhat interesting.

11. Likes: jens (4th April 2015)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    6) 1996 Monaco GP – only 6 finishers if I remember correctly. Schumacher made a stupid uncharacteristic mistake in that race as well on the first lap iirc. Olivier Panis’s only win.
    I guess if you are only going to win one GP in your career then winning at Monaco has to be pretty special! Always felt that Panis was a good driver who never quite got the right seat at the right time.
    Flonkkkk.

13. Likes: journeyman racer (9th April 2015)
    Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
    I guess if you are only going to win one GP in your career then winning at Monaco has to be pretty special! Always felt that Panis was a good driver who never quite got the right seat at the right time.
    Agreed. Olly was one of the many who had the talent to be in F1, but even way back then the money behind probably wasn't enough to get him into a really goof team early in his career, and sadly his career kind of petered out.