Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts

Renault and Red Bull Continue Smackfest

I don't know how they can even finish out the year together like this.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/re...-newey-of-lies

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Are both parties looking for a way out, and to save face by not being the one who ends the partnership. Sounds like a difficult divorce, with all of the acrimony and finger pointing.

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    If Red Bull isn't going to run up front, I hope they at least make a hell of a stink.

It's a Smackfest

4. Likes: rjbetty (27th March 2015)
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsp...ry/195405.html
    http://www.microsofttranslator.com/B...25A0%25C2%25BB
    "Cyril Abiteboul, Executive Director of Renault Sport F1, is entrusted in the n ° AUTOhebdo 2004 on the lack of performance of the Power Unit and the searthing to recreate a stable to the diamond.

The first Grand Prix of the season was difficult for Renault... Is this a simple case of electronics?

It is a matter of complexity of a supercharged combustion engine settings, aggravated by the contributions of the electric energy recovery... The fact to have begun this season with a lot of technical developments, some very late way, is no longer foreign... I am not an apology. The others arrive, not us. Being in this situation is outrageous, frustrating, sad.

Are Toro Rosso and Red Bull housed in the same boat, facing your engine worries?

Yes. In addition, for Red Bull, some chassis problems which did not suit the situation. In particular the lack of stability of the rear axle. Both handsets are difficult to drive machines.

Is it hard to hear Adrian Newey, technical director of Red Bull, say that the only problem of his car is his Renault engine?

Yes, it's hard to have a partner who lies. Adrian is a charming gentleman and outstanding engineer, but he has spent his life to criticize its engine partners. He is too old to change.

Check out the full interview with Cyril Abiteboul in n ° 2004 AUTOhebdo, available since Monday night digital on all platforms, and Wednesday on newsstands.
    "
    Last edited by CNR; 24th March 2015 at 23:53.
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Do I understand correctly that this "it's hard to have a partner that lies" comment that motorsport.com has based its headline on comes from a machine translation?

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    I am sure this marriage isn't having easiest times right now. Renault is obviously the weaker link in the package as well. Red Bull is probably frustrated, but what can they do.

I mean it is a political situation as well. Everyone has to make the best compromise. Red Bull may consider a split from Renault, but where would they go? Red Bull-Honda? I think RB-Mercedes is unlikely as well as RB-Ferrari even though back in 2006 we had Red Bull-Ferrari team!

Actually I have a feeling that for a long time Renault hasn't had a strong commitment to F1 at least in terms of budget. That ever since Renault pulled out of F1 after the scandals in 2009 and Renault cut down its F1 presence though they carried on as engine supplier. Now, when the V8 engines were frozen, it wasn't a big deal, since all engine manufacturers were performing pretty close to each other. But with new expensive rules the situation has changed.

Is Renault really prepared to come back in stronger presence and perhaps purchase even their own team? Because in terms of marketing they are not getting much presence on Red Bull cars, since the Red Bull logo and colour scheme is all over Red Bulls! Not comparable to the nice yellow of Renault back in 2010!

Okay, there is lots of speculation and wild guesses. And solutions are dependent on internal strategies of company HQ's. Red Bull is probably pressing Renault for greater F1 commitment, thus improving their performance. While Renault is considering whether greater commitment can mean something else as well rather than just supplying the two Red Bull teams.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    To me the whole public debate and a string of mutual accusations between RedBull Racing and Renault seems really odd. Sure, given the 2014-2015 level of performance of RedBull-Renault, there will be a search of the culpable parties, but why make this public and why show your dirty laundry to the rest of the world?

My theory is that the Red Bull is trying to shame Renault publicly, in order to keep the Frenchmen on their toes so they would deliver a competitive engine as soon as possible. Renault, on the other hand, now constantly hints at its intention to possibly start a new Renault team because the Renault brand isn't getting enough exposure through Red Bull racing. Since most analysts do not believe that Renault is serious about starting a factory team again, Renault's statements are simply meant to pressure Red Bull into giving more credit to the engine supplier.

My personal opinion is that Red Bull should really have the upper hand in this RedBull vs Renault debate. In the final years of the naturally aspirated engines, all of the engines were more or less equalized and frozen, so Red Bull could have won the 2010-2013 titles with any engine (except perhaps Consworth), so why shouldn't Red Bull get more credit for what they have done? Likewise, in 2014 whatever Red Bulls have accomplished was due to their drivers (or a driver?) and brilliant chassis development. It is clear that Renault was the weakest link in 2014 cars since other Renault customers started dropping their Renault engine supply like it was Enron stock.

What's going to happen next is that the Red Bull-Renault marriage is going to continue for some time. Red Bull knows that it can't count on having access to Ferrari or Mercedes engines, while Honda is in a very sorry state right now, so RBR has to use Renault by default. On the other hand, it's hard to believe that Renault would be willing to invest into a factory team again. It does seem possible that the frustrated Renault would eventually quit F1 racing just like Peugeot pulled out of WEC a couple of years ago. At that point, some people have speculated that RBR could either quit also or buy Renault's Formula 1 engine facilities. I also like to fantasize that Red Bull is already secretly developing its own engine with help of Cosworth or some other undercover player.
    Last edited by zako85; 25th March 2015 at 13:05.

9. Likes: jens (25th March 2015)
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
    I don't know how they can even finish out the year together like this.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/re...-newey-of-lies
    Isn't Adrian Newey about to step aside anyway? So it if is about his comments, it is not really much of a basis to part ways.

But I can understand that Newey likes to challenge engine manufacturers. He has built his career on making very tight car designs, which are a big challenge to integrate with engines. And sometimes the designs are so risky the engine manufacturer really is unable to match the "requirements" and the car goes kaboom - like the 2004 McLarens.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Yup.. seems very odd (not to mention shortsighted and unprofessional) of Abiteboul to have (reportedly) bitten on that bait..
    Newey is not an integral part of the race setup, and rarely attends these flyaway races anyway. He's one man, with one opinion.
    Yes it's fair to say that this has been building a while but this isn't the first time ole Cyril has made publicly questionable comments/accusations either in his Renault, Caterham or Renault (again) days.. Renault should be trying to rein him in & smooth the waters before this becomes MORE damaging to their reputation than Red Bull's..

There was clear emnity between Abiteboul & Marko in the paddock in Melbourne, but the problem here seems to stem from Cyril more than the Red Bull side & it's not doing Renault any good either way, whoever threatens to leave who first!

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
    If Red Bull isn't going to run up front, I hope they at least make a hell of a stink.

It's a Smackfest
    Yeah at least if nothing else, it's quite entertaining. :P
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.