Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Clarkson suspended from the BBC

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell View Post
    A channel that would be saying it's OK for its employees or contractors to punch their colleagues at work.
    Or a channel that is willing to forget that and exploit the fact this trio are guaranteed to pull in viewers worldwide. After reading Rupert Murdoch's tweet yesterday I have a feeling I know a network that will have an offer on the table. Sky after all are not the benchmark of moral standards and never have been. Clarkson deserved to be sacked for his conduct, but I feel he'll be the winner in all this because he'll go on to make a load more money and the BBC will watch the £67m they earn from Top Gear slowly disappear.
    Last edited by henners88; 26th March 2015 at 08:15.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Yup, I expect Sky Gear or whatever it's going to be called to appear in the Autumn.

The slight problem they have is that they can employ the presenters, but they can't directly copy the format as that's copyrighted. So it has to be changed, but the point is that Top Gear is popular because it is the way it is! Mind you I'm not sure what can be copyrighted, certainly Star in a Reasonably Priced Car can be, but three blokes cocking about can't?

Sky would have to be exceptionally careful, a small change and it'll be ruined and won't last longer than 2 series.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    Yes but he brings in huge numbers of fans/watchers and oodles of money
    I don't think it is morally right for a person to rise above ethics, so that "he can do anything he likes to get away with it."

What do you think of a great and strong politician, who leads the country. But he is massively corrupt, steals and uses violence against anyone, who disagrees with him. Is that okay, just because he is a strong leader and the country is economically well off?

In my view problems in society arise, when we elevate people "above" normal human standards, which should apply to everyone, but we think a "selected few" can do anything they like because they are so great.

It is harsh, but in my view a fine line should be cut here, so that regardless of who you are, you should not get away with it. Otherwise society is morally corrupt.

4. Likes: BDunnell (26th March 2015)
    Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    It would be nice to see Top Gear become a motoring show again.
    Maybe they could hire some competent drivers who can give opinions on normal cars.
    I know it won't be as popular, with the lack of exploding polar bears and constant burnouts by stunt drivers.

The Top Gear trio IMO should go and do a travel show, that's what was the only good part in the shows for last five years.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    Or a channel that is willing to forget that and exploit the fact this trio are guaranteed to pull in viewers worldwide. After reading Rupert Murdoch's tweet yesterday I have a feeling I know a network that will have an offer on the table. Sky after all are not the benchmark of moral standards and never have been. Clarkson deserved to be sacked for his conduct, but I feel he'll be the winner in all this because he'll go on to make a load more money and the BBC will watch the £67m they earn from Top Gear slowly disappear.
    Fine. The BBC shouldn't be dependent on funding generated by foreign sales of programmes. In a case like this, I'm surprised there aren't grounds for the BBC to sue the individual whose behaviour caused it to lose that revenue.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    I don't think it is morally right for a person to rise above ethics, so that "he can do anything he likes to get away with it."

What do you think of a great and strong politician, who leads the country. But he is massively corrupt, steals and uses violence against anyone, who disagrees with him. Is that okay, just because he is a strong leader and the country is economically well off?

In my view problems in society arise, when we elevate people "above" normal human standards, which should apply to everyone, but we think a "selected few" can do anything they like because they are so great.

It is harsh, but in my view a fine line should be cut here, so that regardless of who you are, you should not get away with it. Otherwise society is morally corrupt.
    Exactly. If you were an employer, would you want to take on someone who is known for assaulting co-workers for no reason? I would suggest that individual isn't right in the head.

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    He knows his followers He will be back on Sky or ITV

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi View Post
    It would be nice to see Top Gear become a motoring show again.
    Maybe they could hire some competent drivers who can give opinions on normal cars.
    I know it won't be as popular, with the lack of exploding polar bears and constant burnouts by stunt drivers.

The Top Gear trio IMO should go and do a travel show, that's what was the only good part in the shows for last five years.
    But TG worked because it wasn't just another run of the mill boring car show. These things come and go all of the time because they are boring eg 5th Gear etc.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post

I agree Jens, I am certainly not defending the actions of this neaderthal gorilla. No one should be allowed to get away with this sort of thuggery, no matter how successful and economically important they are. I fully support the actions the BBC have taken.

In NZ Sky TV have employed people sacked by other channels for various un savory reasons, simply because they get high ratings

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    But TG worked because it wasn't just another run of the mill boring car show. These things come and go all of the time because they are boring eg 5th Gear etc.
    TG was good, but it got old. Then again I might just be a boring person.
    I do watch it sometimes when they show it on tv, but haven't bothered torrenting any new episodes for five or six years now.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.