Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    right on anfield...even his books are the same..you know they are full of his opinionated crap but the language and the humour (unless you are on the end of it, but even then) is why people find it funny - no need to take it all so seriously all the time.
    I like his books.
    They make for excellent Bathroom Readers.

I'm currently reading Le Père Goriot by Honoré de Balzac; after readin La Rabouilleuse.
    I like great literature but if you are otherwise engaged; taking the Browns to the Superbowl, you don't want something terribly mentally taxing.

Hitting someone is idiotic and should be grounds for dismissal.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I like his books.

I'm currently reading Le Père Goriot by Honoré de Balzac; after readin La Rabouilleuse.
    I like great literature but if you are otherwise engaged; taking the Browns to the Superbowl, you don't want something terribly mentally taxing.

Hitting someone is idiotic and should be grounds for dismissal.
    Yes hitting a workmate is inexcusable and can't be tolerated. But did he actually hit the producer? All that has been said is that he apparently aimed a punch at, which is not to say he actually hit him. Having said that I am in no way excusing or condoning his childish actions.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    Clarkson is a great hairy oaf and an absolute twat.... but that is why people watch the program. Top Gear was around before him and it was just a boring, run of the mill car show. People watch because of his crass behaviuor. It is akin to Gordon Ramsey and his swear-for-the-camera thing. We complain about his language, but watch because of it.
    Yeah, I get all that. I can remember being hugely underwhelmed by TG the first few time I watched it - looking at guys thrash exotica is cool for the first couple of times, but the contrived yob carry-on, combined with the absolute self absorption of Clarkson and the lack of personality of Hammond and May made it dreary beyond compare. And I wish I could see it differently.

The idea that being a hairy oaf with Herculean levels of entitlement is what attracts people to Clarkson is possibly the most dismaying aspect. IMO, it's time has passed - there are many, many others who do it better, provide interesting insight and have engaging personalities all through the internets (I'm sure I don't need to labour that point, people who frequent this type of website are usually enthusiasts - with the exception of crash.net - and know what's getting around).

Though it's continued popularity leaves me looking a bit like Robinson Carusoe....

Anyway, as you all were.

Liked 158 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I like his books.
    Clarkson's writing is, in my opinion, his greatest strength.

The best response I have seen to the incident so far has come from James May: "The man is a knob, but I quite like him".

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

As I understand it Clarkson and Wilman sold the Top Gear rights to the BBC a few years ago, so the BBC could carry on the show without them (and their contracts expire at the end of this year).

For better or for worse though, those three have made Top Gear "their" show and it wouldn't be the same without them. Its no secret that Sky have been sniffing round the TG team for years, so it wouldn't surprise me to see a move happening some time soon...
    "If in doubt... flat out!"

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    I haven't watched Top Gear for years as I thought it went really crap. I do appreciate though how much money it makes the BBC and it would be a mistake to drop Clarkson as he seems to be the draw of the show across the world. I did hear Piers Morgan had put his hand up for the job but I think it would be less embarrassing to completely drop the program altogether than put a scumbag like that in the seat. Sack Hammond and I think Top Gear could be a good show again.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    Sack Hammond and I think Top Gear could be a good show again.
    Look, I know lots about torques, horsepowers, hydrocelators and binary load lifters... I'll take the job.

I can write pieces for camera and come up with half-baked ideas and ill-conceived concepts. If anything, I'm overqualified.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

7. Likes: TheFamousEccles (12th March 2015)
    Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Hammond is useless so rollo you are in with a shout ..What do people think about Fifth Gear? I haven't kept up much with TG (although I do read the mag sometimes) as its hard to find on tele here nowadays but 5th gear is boring apart from the cars
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    TG has got a bit stale with the same three for many years now.
    Clarkson should be shown the door.
    Chris Harris is probably an adequate driver and replacement. Give the Stig a speaking role (digitise his voice like Stephen Hawking)or even if his voice is recognised and identity is revealed, keep the helmet on.
    Cut the budget so they are not driving so many fancy cars. I would rather see them hammering everyday cars than Lambos and beemers etc.
    Have guest presenters (like BTCC drivers) so Hammond and May can have a break away from the show.

TG cancelled according to this.
    http://www.autoevolution.com/news/je...ood-93287.html
    Last edited by Zeakiwi; 15th March 2015 at 01:11.

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Clarkson is Top Gear, take a look back to how boring it was until he came along, it wouldn't be half the show without him. He is more than a presenter too, he does a lot of behind the scenes editing and producing.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    I haven't watched Top Gear for years as I thought it went really crap. I do appreciate though how much money it makes the BBC and it would be a mistake to drop Clarkson as he seems to be the draw of the show across the world. I did hear Piers Morgan had put his hand up for the job but I think it would be less embarrassing to completely drop the program altogether than put a scumbag like that in the seat. Sack Hammond and I think Top Gear could be a good show again.
    Morgan wasn't being serious though. He and Clarkson hate each other (too similar?) so Morgan's offer was aimed to stick the knife into Clarkson than to actually suggest he wanted the job.