Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
Clarkson is a great hairy oaf and an absolute twat.... but that is why people watch the program. Top Gear was around before him and it was just a boring, run of the mill car show. People watch because of his crass behaviuor. It is akin to Gordon Ramsey and his swear-for-the-camera thing. We complain about his language, but watch because of it.
Yeah, I get all that. I can remember being hugely underwhelmed by TG the first few time I watched it - looking at guys thrash exotica is cool for the first couple of times, but the contrived yob carry-on, combined with the absolute self absorption of Clarkson and the lack of personality of Hammond and May made it dreary beyond compare. And I wish I could see it differently.

The idea that being a hairy oaf with Herculean levels of entitlement is what attracts people to Clarkson is possibly the most dismaying aspect. IMO, it's time has passed - there are many, many others who do it better, provide interesting insight and have engaging personalities all through the internets (I'm sure I don't need to labour that point, people who frequent this type of website are usually enthusiasts - with the exception of crash.net - and know what's getting around).

Though it's continued popularity leaves me looking a bit like Robinson Carusoe....

Anyway, as you all were.