Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD
    They said on "Motors TV" yesterday that Audi is on their way out of ALMS/American Le Mans so maybe the VAG group will use their motorsport budget elsewhere?

It's also pretty clear that VAG are no longer interested in trying to enter the Audi brand in F1. They considered buying the Sauber team, but that team is now in the hands of BMW.

This means that Audi only have the original Le Mans race with their V10 diesel, so there must a big un-used budget, which could be used for a WRC program. Would be great to have AUDI back in WRC or to welcome VW.
    It would be nice to see Audi in WRC, especially for those of us who never get to see the glory days of Audi in 1980's. However isn't ALMS project run by Audi North America, not by Audi in Germany??? In that case the budget may be used within North America.... I think North American market is very important for Audi. But either way, VW will have some motorsports budget when stepping out of ALMS....
    Waiting for Subaru to come back to be :champion:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koko0703
    It would be nice to see Audi in WRC, especially for those of us who never get to see the glory days of Audi in 1980's. However isn't ALMS project run by Audi North America, not by Audi in Germany??? In that case the budget may be used within North America.... I think North American market is very important for Audi. But either way, VW will have some motorsports budget when stepping out of ALMS....

I think the more accurate report is that Audi will step down from running a factory team in the ALMS (Audi NA will more than likely broker a sale of R10s to a team like Champion Audi to campaign the cars as they did just a few years ago after the Audi factory stepped down with R8s).

I also think Audi is tryign to force the ALMS to stop rescinding the rules that favor diesels.
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L5->R5/CR
    I'm not sure how VW is percieved in Europe, or the world, but in the US they need help.

Their cars are percieved as mundane, pedestrian, and boring. They are for the khaki clad, suburban, YUPs, and highschool girls. Their line lacks excitement, appeal, and sporting interests and many younger buyers have a very negative view of their products in terms of styling, reliability, and performance.

VW may need a kick in the pants in more than one market, WRC might be a good way to start doing that...
    First, to answer your question, VW Golf is one of the best selling cars in Europe and it's well adopted by young car enthusiasts.
    But......., I don't think you can compare VW in Europe and North America.
    I hope you are aware that most VW for North America are build in North America and are sold only in North America, and I can tell you there is huuuuuuge difference. In other words, you don't know much about this car.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker
    First, to answer your question, VW Golf is one of the best selling cars in Europe and it's well adopted by young car enthusiasts.
    I agree, VW Golf is a quality car same goes for Passat also, I think reliable cars too.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker
    But......., I don't think you can compare VW in Europe and North America.
    I hope you are aware that most VW for North America are build in North America and are sold only in North America, and I can tell you there is huuuuuuge difference. In other words, you don't know much about this car.

You're right. I don't know jack about VW Europe cars, and I don't want to. Only VW I have any interest in is a TDI Touraeg or however it is spelled.
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    While the VW are extremely well regarded cars in Europe and are very reliable I also consider them boring and unappealling.
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 664 Times in 357 Posts
    Cars for the masses. Can that be exciting, by definition? Hardly.

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    Maybe what VW will do is turn their EOS cabrio/hardtop in the a 307CC like WRC car.
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As tread starter says, sure will be the new Scirocco. Name one current WRC that is exciting...yeah maybe the Subaru, but all others are boring family cars.

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    lol

ok
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"