Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    You need to press a button before the voice system is activated. So it's a non issue.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    At least it makes people realize that any voice command device with the feature activated is eavesdropping on everything within reach... Well whooodathunkit?!
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You need to press a button before the voice system is activated. So it's a non issue.
    The voice activation, yes. The transmission of data file information (from USB sticks or portable hard drives), no. You don't "opt in" and there is no way to "opt out" to prevent Samsung (and maybe LG... can't recall) smart televisions from transmitting that data back to HQ or where ever. The man I referred to in my OP actually found that information about his children was being sent out. That, to me, is not just an invasion of privacy but also potentially dangerous.

And it must have been something of a concern for Samsung, because they have now updated their terms of use to make the language less Orwellian and (deliberately) confusing. I don't particularly care for him, but Senator Al Franken has sent letters to both Samsung and LG, inquiring about not just their use of the personal information they capture (covered in the terms of use), but also what Nuance Communications does or can do with it (not covered in the terms of use). Nuance is actually the company providing the backbone of this system.

I would never have or allow a device such as this in my home. And despite my fascination with the "internet of things", any company not willing to protect my personal data is a company I would never buy another product from. When my Panasonic plasma dies one of these days, I don't know what I'll replace it with, but it won't be a Samsung TV. That much I can say for sure.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    I would never have or allow a device such as this in my home. And despite my fascination with the "internet of things", any company not willing to protect my personal data is a company I would never buy another product from.
    It is possible to put a line filter on your electricity meter box and analyse the waveform patterns to work out exactly which devices you have plugged in and for how long.
    I remember hearing about this on Future Tense by ABC's Radio National, when they were speaking to a chap from the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation about legally bugging people's houses. Wiretapping people's phones is usually illegal for the public but it isn't illegal for electricity companies to "monitor" your electricity usage.

I'll have a hunt about for the link to the radio show.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    With this much money and this much freedom at stake with one of these "smart" devices in our homes , are we all feeling safe with the idea that not enabling the software that listens to us is enough ?

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    With this much money and this much freedom at stake with one of these "smart" devices in our homes , are we all feeling safe with the idea that not enabling the software that listens to us is enough ?
    Short answer = No. Long answer = Hell no.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    If you're really worried simply place a small thick piece of tape over the microphone .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    I'm with schemke on this one. Self flattery doesn't become any of you all boyz, trust me I know from experience
    None of your lives are that damn important to worry about this crap. (except maybe Mark, because I'm pretty sure the vice cops are after him )Personally I would have a good time talking shit in front of that TV, but then again I am very easily amused.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    None of your lives are that damn important to worry about this crap. (except maybe Mark, because I'm pretty sure the vice cops are after him )
    Really?
    I "smelled" a few guys here who definitely have something to hide.
    Personally I would have a good time talking shit in front of that TV, but then again I am very easily amused.
    In your particular case the TV should capture images.

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo View Post
    Really?
    I "smelled" a few guys here who definitely have something to hide.
    Their is Smellavision, imagine the possibilities?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp_t1OlSokU

Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo View Post
    In your particular case the TV should capture images.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyyNIlj-zI

May the forza be with you