Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts

Benniz's rally driver debut - The thread

Hi everyone!

This is a copy of a post in the Codemasters forum. The 31st of January I will be making my debut as a rally driver, driving the Norwegian rally event, Rally Hadeland. It has been a dream of mine for many years, and I am now finally going through with it! Since we have become a nice community of the past years, I thought I would share my experience with you all. So - this is me:

My name is Benjamin. I am 25 years old, live just outside Oslo which is the capital of Norway. I am born in the UK, and moved with my family to Norway in 1996. I work as a freelance photographer, mainly focusing on journalism and commercial work. Besides this I have photographed the Norwegian rally championship the past seven years, and also the Swedish round of the WRC. I have been following rallying the past fifteen years, and my big hero has of course been Colin McRae! During this time I have been a keen rally gamer, and have won two Norwegian championships in rally gaming. The first in 2005 was driving WRC 5 Evolved, the second in 2007 driving DiRT 1 (the final stage was Pikes Peak!). I have also driven Richard Burns rally a lot, and am now using it to prepare for the upcoming event. One of my motivations to finally go ahead with my dream is to try to compare the virtual driving experience with the real thing. I have previously tested a group N Impreza and a couple of banger racing cars, and my impression is that many of the driving techniques I can use in rally games also work well in a proper rally car.

The rally event I will be driving is the local event which runs every year not far from where I have grown up during my years in Norway. I have co-driven on this event in 2006, and it's fantastic! No surprise, the surface will be snow, covering 37 kilometres of stage action. Actually, WRC-driver Mads Østberg will be competing on the event too, I expect to be right up there following his pace - NOT. The car I will be driving is a front wheel drive Nissan Almera with about 150 bhp, which I will be renting from the Norwegian rallying legend, Trond Lyseng. Trond himself has actually won the national class of Rally Hadeland with this car previously, beating mighty BMW M3's and Volvo 240's - a pretty good driver there. My co-driver, Simen, is a good friend of mine who also has been photographing the Norwegian championship. He has also competed on a number of events as a co-driver the past five years.

The last weeks I have been working to prepare things for the event. I have been lucky enough to be able to cover all my expenses through sponsorship, thanks to long time customers who liked the idea of me finally competing. The plan is to test the car for the first time this Saturday, so I am pretty geared up at the moment. Hoping to get some kilometres under my belt, so we have a good starting point for the rally. I will be keeping you all updated in the time towards the event. We will be making a video from the whole experience which I will be sharing with you after the event. We also hope to get some video and pictures from the upcoming test, this will of course be shared with you all. For now, there isn't really much more to tell, other than that I picked up my driving gear from Gundersen motorsport (Birger Gundersen, a BRC-driver back in the 90's) this afternoon.

If anybody can tell me how to embed images and videos, I will be very happy. I have some stuff to share with you!

I will be back with more for you very soon, please ask questions and start discussions if you like!

Cheers,

Benjamin - Benniz
    Last edited by bennizw; 23rd January 2015 at 17:08.

2. Likes: Francis44 (17th February 2015),NeverKnow (25th January 2015),pino (23rd January 2015)
    Right! I'm back again. This time with a teaser video from our test today - which by the way was awesome I'll be back with more footage and a longer video tomorrow evening!

http://youtu.be/jJIbH0LtV2M
    Last edited by bennizw; 26th January 2015 at 00:55.

Alright lads! Here is a point of view (POV) video from yesterdays test. Things turned a little more dramatic than I had hoped for, watch the video and you'll see why! Hope you enjoy it! I'll be back with a longer story from the test tomorrow evening for you

http://youtu.be/ywCNLh1IyfM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Interesting to follow the start of your rally career, I will check the topic.

I just saw the live stream of the Rally of Sweden, what a final! And what a pitty for your countryman Andreas Mikkelsen. He had exactly the same pace referring to the splits.
    what I learned this weekend, how do you say it 'keep nose' or just 'nose' the car

Afterwards I installed myself behind my Logitech G25 wheel and just finished 'shakedown' Sikakama in Richard Burns Rally
    I love that fast stage and it's all about 'nose'.

Good luck with the rally!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsu91qjnll8

Liked 158 Times in 100 Posts
    Hello bennizw! Just signed up to the forum, didn't know you posted on here: I can now follow your rally career in two places!
    "If in doubt... flat out!"

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    Bennizw you used to compete in this forum's rbr championships right?!

Very happy for you, and I wish all the luck, very nice of you aswell to share your experience here.

Hi! Thanks for the nice feedback guys I was a pity for Andreas, I was at the end of the Powerstage photographing for McKlein - poor lad. His first win isn't far away though!
    I used to compete in the RBR championship in this forum before yes, would love to try and get it going again some day!

We have made a full documentary from the rally itself by the way. We held ourselves on the road and made it to the finish. Tomorrow I'm off to have a look at a car I fancy buying - help!

Documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sacUhIOKZc

9. Likes: NeverKnow (18th February 2015)
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Nice video, wish I had the money to do the same thing The POV video made it look like you don't have a lot of fear! (which isn't always a good thing) so well done for keeping it on the road and getting to the finish, it looked like a fantastic experience.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.