Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Liked 112 Times in 94 Posts
    The Charlie Hebdo Massacre in Paris

Two heavily armed attackers, who apparently knew the magazine’s staff would be gathered around a table late on Wednesday morning for a weekly editorial meeting, forced themselves into Charlie Hebdo’s office and shot 10 people dead
    The terrorists massacred them in the meeting room.
    Even if they had guns they wouldn't have the time to get and use them.

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Robinho, shall I understand that nothing/nobody(I mean not neccessarily a specific god ) in this world is sacred to you?

I think that "the sacred" is a part of human conscience and not just a stage in the "history" of our conscience......

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Wow, what a peaceful discussion we have here. It's almost a love fest despite our disagreements. It's too bad we don't see Muslims posting on this thread to share peace, compassion and sympathy for Charlie cartoonists.
    Llibertat

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz View Post
    Wow, what a peaceful discussion we have here. It's almost a love fest despite our disagreements. It's too bad we don't see Muslims posting on this thread to share peace, compassion and sympathy for Charlie cartoonists.
    I would hope Muslims will feel so enlightened in the near future, either moving away from religion (when living somewhere that you don't get killed for that) or feel secure enough in their faith that satire or negativity towards their faith is water off a ducks back.
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinho View Post
    I would hope Muslims will feel so enlightened in the near future, either moving away from religion (when living somewhere that you don't get killed for that)
    Not all Muslims are fundamentalists, most of them are honest people like me ( well, this is rather questionable....) and you ( I hope....) who just belong to other culture.
    or feel secure enough in their faith that satire or negativity towards their faith is water off a ducks back.
    .Maybe they also think that the western world should finally understand that it's not fair to offend their religious feelings? Why should we do such things if we know we're causing trouble? What's the point?

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo View Post
    Not all Muslims are fundamentalists, most of them are honest people like me ( well, this is rather questionable....) and you ( I hope....) who just belong to other culture.
    .Maybe they also think that the western world should finally understand that it's not fair to offend their religious feelings? Why should we do such things if we know we're causing trouble? What's the point?
    You've hit 2 nails on the head for me there. One is culture. Religion, for the masses, I contend, is more about culture than belief. And I feel strongly about preserving culture.

As for offending religious feelings, why are they more important than either the alternative religious feelings (answer because only 1 can be correct and therefore the alternative is offensive, whatever it is) or the feelings of the non religious. I feel offended by pretty much all religion, and to me, from a standpoint where I don't believe in any god, everyone who is religious is extreme or fundamentalist.
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

7. Likes: donKey jote (9th January 2015)
    I feel offended by pretty much all religion, and to me, from a standpoint where I don't believe in any god, everyone who is religious is extreme or fundamentalist.
    In this case I won't say a word more.
    Being labeled as a sort of forum's Taliban would be too much for my poor sinful soul....

Liked 682 Times in 478 Posts
    You've hit 2 nails on the head for me there. One is culture. Religion, for the masses, I contend, is more about culture than belief. And I feel strongly about preserving culture.

As for offending religious feelings, why are they more important than either the alternative religious feelings (answer because only 1 can be correct and therefore the alternative is offensive, whatever it is) or the feelings of the non religious. I feel offended by pretty much all religion, and to me, from a standpoint where I don't believe in any god, everyone who is religious is extreme or fundamentalist.
    While I always support a persons right to free speech and opinion in any situation, I'm finding that you seem to be overlooking a very obvious point.

Your contention is essentially that since you believe in no god, those that do are incorrect, and those religious beliefs are the cause of many bad things. Has it ever occurred to you that any time you take 98% of the world population, regardless of what binds that 98%, that the majority of all things done, both good and bad, will be done by that 98%?

I would strongly contend that if the 98% of the world population that either claims religion of some type or are agnostic were all in fact extreme or fundamentalist, the 2% of the world population that claims to be atheist would likely have long ago been wiped off the face of the planet.

I find it interesting that a number of comments by several posters on this thread are so biased in regards to religion and/or gun control, yet nobody really seemed to have acknowledged that this is a case of a few nutters doing what nutters do. Regardless of their religious views, weapons, physical characteristics, etc they are extremists of a level well beyond most humans.

And I would think that any intelligent person would realize that when they take actions intended to offend a large group of people, they are essentially trolling for one of these nutters that does have extremist views to do something about it. As tragic as this incident is, it could have IMO most likely been avoided by someone not going out of their way to intentionally offend others.

And it appears that as I type this, a town has essentially been put in lockdown, and there are reports that the two remaining suspects may have been killed in the final raids after taking hostages.

10. Likes: Big Ben (13th January 2015)
    Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    There is no subject that you can't joke about. It depends entirely on what the actual joke is
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow View Post
    There is no subject that you can't joke about. It depends entirely on what the actual joke is
    Totally disagree with this. What joke could be made regarding Rwanda? About the Sudan? About Slavery? About starvation that would be acceptable.