Hybrid View

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    And yet after a building burned, and now a murder spree took place, the magazine responds by printing more of an issue that will further infuriate those attacking them. Bravo.... a great way to roll the dice and pull even more nutters into the mix!

I'm all for freedom of speech and the press, personal expression, and human rights. But I also accept that with my freedom of speech comes a responsibility that what I say may have negative consequences.

Sorry, but I am NOT Charlie.
    Very eloquently put.

I was very disappointed with the cover. Extremists attacked Charlie Hebdo so the magazine comes up with a cover that most if not all Muslims whether mainstream or not would find offensive. Thats how to build bridges with French Muslims, indeed Muslims globally.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec View Post
    Very eloquently put.

I was very disappointed with the cover. Extremists attacked Charlie Hebdo so the magazine comes up with a cover that most if not all Muslims whether mainstream or not would find offensive. Thats how to build bridges with French Muslims, indeed Muslims globally.
    True......

.....but it's an effing cartoon picture!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30835625

The Pope thinks freedom of speech 'has limits' and 'you cannot insult the faith of others'.

What a load of ****. What are you going to do Popey if I blaspheme? Burn me at the stake?
    Last edited by Brown, Jon Brow; 16th January 2015 at 01:02.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow View Post
    True......

.....but it's an effing cartoon picture!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30835625

The Pope thinks freedom of speech 'has limits' and 'you cannot insult the faith of others'.

What a load of ****. What are you going to do Popey if I blaspheme? Burn me at the stake?
    Yes of course there's freedom of speech but with that comes responsibility. In this particular case because of the events over the past few weeks a little sensitivity would have gone a long way especially given how explosive things have become in France. Muslims in general, not just extremists have made it very clear that they find images of the prophet hurtful and offensive so Charlie Hebdo go ahead and make him the cover image. Then the caption, 'I forgive you'. Who is it aimed at? Charlie Hebdo to the terrorists? If so then why use an image that all Muslims would find offensive? Is it possible to forgive people who killed 12 guys just a week ago? Is it aimed at the Muslim world in general in which case the logic beggars belief, how can 1.6 billion people bear responsibility and therefore require forgiveness for the actions of three people?

Finally there is the caricaturing of Arabs used which (whether religious or not) French Arabs have repeatedly complained is offensive and racist. I do wonder if Charlie Hebdo lampoons African dictators by portraying them as banana eating apes living in trees, Israeli policies with hook nosed bearded Jews wearing yellow stars and horns in their hair. Maybe a nice slitty eye with a Chinese hat to mock North Korea? Of course Charlie Hebdo is very careful with the way it portrays Jews, a journalist got sacked after he was accused of being anti-semitic. Free speech exists if you're offending one religion but not another? How does that work?