Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    The difference is that here people get to try and persuade others to come around to their way of thinking without violence and then settle the matter with a vote. And when we lose a vote, we don't start shooting people and blowing people up.
    You missed my point.

You regularly vote for governments that have (whether Democrat or Republican) continued to kill and support governments that kill Muslims, militants or civilian. Not only that but you fund the killing of civilians directly by paying taxes. You fail to oppose your governments actions by continuing to pay taxes and refusing to voice your opposition to military actions performed by your government. You are therefore as responsible for civilian deaths as the guy pulling the trigger and therefore are a legitimate target for what you would define as a terrorist attack.

See what your logic is like when its flipped around on you?

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    The difference is that here people get to try and persuade others to come around to their way of thinking without violence and then settle the matter with a vote. And when we lose a vote, we don't start shooting people and blowing people up.
    Historical aside:
    Except for the election on November 6, 1860...
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

3. Likes: Tazio (13th January 2015)
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec View Post
    You missed my point.

You regularly vote for governments that have (whether Democrat or Republican) continued to kill and support governments that kill Muslims, militants or civilian. Not only that but you fund the killing of civilians directly by paying taxes. You fail to oppose your governments actions by continuing to pay taxes and refusing to voice your opposition to military actions performed by your government. You are therefore as responsible for civilian deaths as the guy pulling the trigger and therefore are a legitimate target for what you would define as a terrorist attack.

See what your logic is like when its flipped around on you?
    This quote from you above "....refusing to voice your opposition to military actions performed by your government."
    is not truthful, as even a casual acquaintance with media sources here will attest. There is abundant opposition to many of our governments actions.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Historical aside:
    Except for the election on November 6, 1860...
    The rare exception as opposed to the rule in many places.
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    This quote from you above "....refusing to voice your opposition to military actions performed by your government."
    is not truthful, as even a casual acquaintance with media sources here will attest. There is abundant opposition to many of our governments actions.
    For all the good it does...
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    For all the good it does...
    True.
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow View Post
    Well just make sure that when you come to buy tickets for my stand-up show you ask the ticket officer 'excuse me, are there going to be any jokes about Hitler, Himmler, Amin, Pol Pot or 9/11 in this show?' Just to make sure

Might not be my best gag ever, but that's an example of a joke that includes all of those topics. Was it in bad taste?
    Give me an example of what you would consider a joke. If you feel that it is funny to make them look like fools and you are Jewish then I would give some credibility to your poking fun in sum way at Hitler or Himmler. What that joke would or could be is anathema to me.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    Yeah a very sad series of events and thankfully no more coppers lost their lives.

I understand why people choose religion but it's not for me. I was brought up as a catholic just for reference here. My family are from the North West of Northern Ireland. My parents claim to be religious, sort of, but have never pushed it onto me and don't practise it. I've never really believed in God and just went along with things because of school and extended family really. By my late teens I barely gave it another thought.
    Henner, I believe that religion in the case of Northern Ireland was just how the cards lay for Nationalist and Loyalists. Those planted from Scotland were Protestant and Presbyterians. The displaced in Northern Ireland were the Catholics. Religion in this case got used by groups that were merely thugs and I doubt half of them had any true allegiance to the religion of their birth.
    Henner, I saw a Panorma TV show, I believe it is BBC that showed a group of men now in their 50's and 60's that played football (soccer) together as kids. They were even on a team. This was in the late 60's and 70's and these kids were both Catholic and Protestant. Some went off and joined paramilitary groups. One of them was Bobby Sands. I was intrigued to learn that Bobby Sands was both Catholic and Protestant. Mixed marriage.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Has it been mentioned that the police chief committed suicide?

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec View Post
    As Tazio has suggested the French have a long complex relationship with their Algerian and sub-Saharan African migrants. First, a bitter war of independence where the French were pretty brutal then widespread discrimination against Algerian migrants in France. Ever heard of banlieue? The dictionary will tell you its an innocent French word for suburb. The reality is that these are miserable apartment blocks on the outskirts of big cities where undesirables like Algerians, blacks and the poorest and worst of French society find themselves. Its nearly impossible for people there to climb out of poverty as those postcodes are blacklisted. Frequently CVs with those postcodes are simply binned before they're even reviewed for job applications. I would watch La Haine if you want to see what life there is like. As for the French police, their tendency to recourse to violence at the first opportunity is well known. Every time we fly there my wife, caucasian French, reminds me never to look the police in the eye and never EVER talk back regardless of the circumstances. Its easy to see how resentment and frustration boil over into anger and eventually violence. For the vast majority of those in the banlieue their outlets are the riots that hit those areas quite regularly. While I abhor terrorism I can however understand how these three, brought up and raised in the circumstances they were in chose a more organised and violent way of hitting back at the system. And of course it is never possible to prove institutional racism in a country where data collection regarding ethnic origin is simply not performed, hence institutional racism simply does not exist. The French state really is secular in every possible way for better or for worse.
    What you describe sounds a lot like what you had said about Syria. Le Francois comme Assad? C'est une idee tres interessante... Now maybe those poor lads were freedom fighters. Just kidding.

Seriously, though, democracies work best when they have a certain degree of homogeneity, when you have a core of the society that stays on the same page, more or less. There might be class divisions and conflicting interests, but everybody plays by the rules. If you bring in a minority with a totally different culture, which is too large or resistant to integration, or both, that's a recipe for trouble. I'm not sure there's a ready made solution for the problems of the French, but then they are a resourceful people who have survived worse situations.
    Llibertat