Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

Jean Pierre Beltoise RIP

Jean Pierre Beltoise died today aged 77 http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117273. He is mostly remembered for his win in the 1972 Monaco GP, often described as the 'wettest GP ever'
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Anyone watching JPB's total domination at Monaco 72 could assume it portended more victories to come. Although he stayed with BRM for another 2 years and had a 2nd, this was to be it for F1. This was also BRM's last win, so the fault did not lie with JPB.
    Sad to see time catching up to many GP drivers of that era.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Those were the days when it took real balls to drive those cars at the limit on the tracks of the time. The notice of his death made me find a video of the drive at Monaco. Incredible!!
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Regarding J-P Beltoise F1 career - an enigma?

What he did reminds a bit of Panis to be honest. Panis achieved his solitary F1 win in the same way - a great drive in wet conditions at Monaco. I know Panis was lucky that day with multiple retirements in front of him, but his drive/performance/speed itself was nonetheless very good given the machinery (midfield Ligier).

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    Regarding J-P Beltoise F1 career - an enigma?

What he did reminds a bit of Panis to be honest. Panis achieved his solitary F1 win in the same way - a great drive in wet conditions at Monaco. I know Panis was lucky that day with multiple retirements in front of him, but his drive/performance/speed itself was nonetheless very good given the machinery (midfield Ligier).
    I think it's a very fair comparison; also, Panis would, I feel, have achieved much more in F1 had it not been for his injury — just like Beltoise. And you're right, it was a super drive at Monaco in '96, though we're in danger of drifting off-topic.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    I'm embarrassed to have only known til recently and to miss this thread. RIP.