Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: V6 Or V8

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    why should it be a v6, v8, v10 etc. Why not simpl;y a power unit/engine with x power output and x displacement and let variety be the spice of F1 life. SOme of the best GPs were in the 70's when different manufactures had different engine configs. i.e. Ferrari V12's vs Cosworth V8's. Both were 3 litres, the Fezzas were more powerful, but heavier, the Cozzies were more driveable and lighter. The V12 were faster but the v8's got into and out of corners better and the racing was simply better
    I always wondered about a radial-9 with three banks of three or a radial-10 with two banks of five. That'd make the engine shorter than a long V10 which would shift the centre of gravity towards the centre of the car.

The 1935 Monaco Trossi... radial-16... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusto...Trossi1935.jpg
    BRM did build an H-16 and it even won the 1966 US GP??
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I always wondered about a radial-9 with three banks of three or a radial-10 with two banks of five. That'd make the engine shorter than a long V10 which would shift the centre of gravity towards the centre of the car.

The 1935 Monaco Trossi... radial-16... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusto...Trossi1935.jpg
    BRM did build an H-16 and it even won the 1966 US GP??
    If anyone could make it work, it would have to be the F1 crew. It would seem the balance would trade issues with the center of gravity, but in F1 who knows that kind of cylinder spacing they might come up with.

Fully agree that R&D, development, etc would far outweigh the materials aspect though.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Fully agree that R&D, development, etc would far outweigh the materials aspect though.
    That development process is going to involve a lot of fabricating parts and assembling and disassembling engines, so I think there could be some merit in Zako's suggestion.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    If anyone could make it work, it would have to be the F1 crew. It would seem the balance would trade issues with the center of gravity, ....
    Yep, radial engines, although light weight, have the disadvantage of having to be configured vertical resulting in a high CG.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    but just imagine the noise that would scream out of them

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    Or a Rotary ?

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    I think every F1 designer would use a rotary if they regulations would allow. A rotary is the smallest, lightest, biggest-bang-for-buck engine, with fewest moving parts and low CG.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 59 Times in 43 Posts
    I'm really into these 3cyl turbocharged engines that Ford and Nissan has been testing around. Together with an Electric Engine they could produce a 900HP engine. Refueling would be necessary, but this should be the TOP TECH to be explored by F1 right? Since we have the Super Formula cars (Formula Nippon) using 4cyl turbo (+ spec Dallara chassis) turning faster laps than NON MANUFACTURER teams in Suzuka....
    I luv big engines and stuff...the sounding... but I'm more curious about new things like those 3cyl..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by giu canbera View Post
    I'm really into these 3cyl turbocharged engines that Ford and Nissan has been testing around. Together with an Electric Engine they could produce a 900HP engine. Refueling would be necessary, but this should be the TOP TECH to be explored by F1 right? Since we have the Super Formula cars (Formula Nippon) using 4cyl turbo (+ spec Dallara chassis) turning faster laps than NON MANUFACTURER teams in Suzuka....
    I luv big engines and stuff...the sounding... but I'm more curious about new things like those 3cyl..
    Suzuki had 3 cylinder turbocharged/fuel injected engines in the 80's. My girlfriend in college had a 3cyl turbo Geo metro.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    AND its only got tw wheels !

11. Likes: Tazio (28th January 2015)