Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Now, according to Motorsports.com, It's Alonso and Button in with Magnussen out.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad choice as long as McLaren finds a way to keep Magnussen around.

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/30328327

same with BBC

Button got lucky again.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Yeah looks like it's going to be Button and Alonso in the team which I think makes complete sense. The question for Button is how long more does he get? Does he get an extra year or two years? Personally, if I were him, I'd be looking for a two year contract at least. Anyway, I think this makes it an extremely strong lineup for McLaren.

Having Alonso and Magnussen would have weakened the team, in my opinion.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Yeah looks like it's going to be Button and Alonso in the team which I think makes complete sense. The question for Button is how long more does he get? Does he get an extra year or two years? Personally, if I were him, I'd be looking for a two year contract at least. Anyway, I think this makes it an extremely strong lineup for McLaren.

Having Alonso and Magnussen would have weakened the team, in my opinion.
    That's the question. I can't see it being any more than a one year deal. Button needs to use the time to either find another team or sort out his F1 retirement. Unless something amazing happens and he becomes WDC.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That's the question. I can't see it being any more than a one year deal. Button needs to use the time to either find another team or sort out his F1 retirement. Unless something amazing happens and he becomes WDC.
    Well, it’s Button’s ability to develop both car and engine that has swung this in his favour in my opinion. Given that I think the Honda engine will take two years to mature it could be that he gets anther contract at the end of the season and who knows what the situation will be at other teams then. For now, it has worked out for him and, come the end of the year, who knows what will happen but, if I were him, I’d be looking for a drive in another team.

I can’t remember a time when the top teams were this sewn up:

RBR won’t take a driver other than one from their Junior Program
    Mercedes look likely to stick with Rosberg and Hamilton in the near future.
    Ferrari have Vettel and Raikkonen. Possibly Raikkonen will retire at the end of 2015 and maybe open up an opportunity to move.
    Williams, whom might disappear again next year, appear to be happy with Massa and Bottas.
    Overall, there’s very little room for movement to a top team if you are in Jenson’s position. The only way is down, not up, unfortunately for Jenson.

Jenson’s only hope of having a competitive drive is with McLaren realistically. It's either that, go back to bottom of the grid teams or else seek a future outside of F1.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Mercedes might change it's driver lineup for 2016, if Hamilton and Rosberg fall out - which they've appeared to be on the verge of several times this year.

Raikkonen will likely leave Ferrari at the end of 2015

But neither of those will hire Button.

I'd quite like Button to go end his career at Williams, there would be a nice symmetry in that.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Confirmed just now! Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso will drive for McLaren next year!

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    If McLaren can't win a constructors' title with those two, they never will!

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quite a good article considering the writer. I hadn't realised it was Whitmarsh that originally wanted Alonso sacked, but started the process of getting him back into the team back in 2013. An interesting time ahead and I hope this time it works out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/30291496

10. Likes: kfzmeister (12th December 2014)
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Alonso back at McLaren... what could possibly go wrong?

This is clearly the best driver selection they had. But best team selection? I'm not so sure.