Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

The future of Wrc car formula?

So Citroen has new homologations for next year. What raised my brow is a new paddle shift that they are to introduce. I was under the impression this generation of cars would stay in a more cheap and mechanical spirit. The cars looked really good in the stages...especially in te beginning. Is this a sign of the formula evolving into the last generation of wrc cars again? Boring "cars on rails" with electronic gadgets to decide who is the best driver in the world?

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/novem...9--12-12-.html

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    We can only hope that they avoid the active differentials. I quite like them as they are.
    Sideways for life

Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    paddles are inevitable. vw wants to promote their dsg system.

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    paddles are inevitable. vw wants to promote their dsg system.
    Are they even remotely similar? DSG is a dual clutch system, where as sequential is a single clutch automated dog type box right? (not overly sure)
    Sideways for life

Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
    As of current dual-clutch gearboxes, I believe they are too heavy to be practical for race/rally applications.

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    The Targa competition Nissan GTR have some of these dual clutch parts in them.
    http://dodsonmotorsport.com/

Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    They are again going to wrong direction with the cars. More manual, restrict the suspension travel, get rid of huge spoilers and other aerodynamic parts and make tyres less grippy. That would be the right direction in terms of both safety and making it more spectacular for spectators

8. Likes: janvanvurpa (26th November 2014)
    Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDA Cosworth View Post
    Are they even remotely similar? DSG is a dual clutch system, where as sequential is a single clutch automated dog type box right? (not overly sure)
    that doesn't matter because the average buyer doesn't know that. as long as there are paddles on the steering-wheel its good advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by COD View Post
    They are again going to wrong direction with the cars. More manual, restrict the suspension travel, get rid of huge spoilers and other aerodynamic parts and make tyres less grippy. That would be the right direction in terms of both safety and making it more spectacular for spectators
    why get rid of the huge spoilers? people like extreme cars.

the only thing they need to do is loosen the rules, so we can see more variation.

10. Likes: A FONDO (25th November 2014)
    Liked 140 Times in 86 Posts
    I'm not a fan of the big spoilers, but they do at least help the current homogenised cars look more interesting in their overall appearance. However my argument for ditching those spoilers would be to look at the ST185 Celica GT-Four WRC, Subaru Impreza 555 and the Delta Integrale Evoluzione. They looked great without huge wings because good looking base cars were used, instead of taking a shopping trolley and forcing it to look extreme.

12. Likes: janvanvurpa (26th November 2014)
    Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post

why get rid of the huge spoilers? people like extreme cars.
    It's not the looks that I disalike, but what they cause.

First of all, they increase the cornering speeds, thus making the effect of an impact much more dangerous when the drives eventually looses control. You saw how much Latvala in Wales or Neuville in Finland lost time driving without rear spoiler.
    Secondly, the big spoilers only work properly when the car is straight, thus reducing sideways action and exitement. Coming back to those two examples above, it sure looked more spectacular without the huge rear wings