Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    I don't know about you, but I enjoy rallying for the challenge that's getting through the stage as fast as possible. If you like people going only sideways, then there is another sport for it
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

2. Likes: A FONDO (26th November 2014)
    Liked 638 Times in 330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    I don't know about you, but I enjoy rallying for the challenge that's getting through the stage as fast as possible. If you like people going only sideways, then there is another sport for it
    By reducing the overall grip of the cars it does not mean that the cars will be sideways all the time and rallying will be a drifting competition.
    I agree with COD that the sport may benefit from reducing the grip of cars, lets say similar to mid/late 90s levels. Todays cars are way too fast in the corners I think, even for a spectator it is quite hard to comprehend what is going on in front of you (at least with the top 5/6 guys).
    Although I cannot see how the technology developments can be undone, especially in suspension and tyres.

Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COD View Post
    It's not the looks that I disalike, but what they cause.

First of all, they increase the cornering speeds, thus making the effect of an impact much more dangerous when the drives eventually looses control. You saw how much Latvala in Wales or Neuville in Finland lost time driving without rear spoiler.
    Secondly, the big spoilers only work properly when the car is straight, thus reducing sideways action and exitement. Coming back to those two examples above, it sure looked more spectacular without the huge rear wings
    sideways action is not going to come back. no matter how much grip there is, driving straight will always be the fastest way.

the only way we can make it come back, is by reducing overal grip en increasing power hugely. narrow tyres, old suspension and 1000hp probably would do the trick.
    then the drivers with the biggest commitment can make a difference.

but ofcourse that would mean it will become very unsafe again, and will probably kill people.

Liked 11,164 Times in 4,433 Posts
    Although it's hard to admit the perception of speed for a spectator is a tricky thing. It's very easy to take something very fast for slow or vice versa. Therefore I'm for more spectacle because it's not true that faster is more spectacular. I can imagine that a lot of You disagree with me but if You have a chance go to spectate some race of electric cars. That's the most obvious case of this speed illusion. You can have an electric car setting faster times than the combustion ones but You would fall asleep watching them. If You have a chance go to spectate formula student competition. You can see that cars doing 0-100 km/h in under 3 seconds can be more boring than R2...
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

6. Likes: jd_89 (26th November 2014)
    Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Yeah the grip to Power ration should be altered. Why insist on staying around 300 bhp? This was extreme in the 90s but today many not that sporty road cars have similiar power. And its not like Group B cars were that fast around corners. I Think stage records were already beaten by the early 90s Gr A cars.
    Today speeds are much higher in corners and cars are much safer. So a move to reduce grip and increase power would not automatically result in more danger but rather "Active" driving and better show right?
    Last edited by Sladden; 26th November 2014 at 10:29.

9. Likes: COD (26th November 2014)
    Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post

but ofcourse that would mean it will become very unsafe again, and will probably kill people.
    What is unsafe for the drivers especially nowdays, is that the cornering speeds have increased. That means that when an accident happens, it is from a higher speed. Reducing grip and probably even more power would actually make cars safer.
    The problem in gr.B was not so much the power, but the construction of light materials and high probability for fire. But even those cars started to have big wings, which thankfully disappeared for gr.A but have unfortunatelly returned to WRC

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    The other way to restrict cornering speed is to put a limit on how soft the tires are allowed to be. Especially on asfalt, but also on gravel.
    if you put in a shore limit, for cold and warm tires, that is easy to measure!

Tire costs will also go down, when tires will be harder and last more SS km.
    Last edited by Sulland; 26th November 2014 at 17:09.

Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COD View Post
    What is unsafe for the drivers especially nowdays, is that the cornering speeds have increased. That means that when an accident happens, it is from a higher speed. Reducing grip and probably even more power would actually make cars safer.
    The problem in gr.B was not so much the power, but the construction of light materials and high probability for fire. But even those cars started to have big wings, which thankfully disappeared for gr.A but have unfortunatelly returned to WRC
    thats correct. but if they become more powerfull, corners that are taken now flatout at lets say 120km/h will no longer be flatout at 160km/h.

corners that now braking will become slower and thus safer, but the already dangerous flatout areas will be more dangerous.

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    The ”problem” with WRC cars (both current & previous) is that as much as possible of the weight is between the axles. Fuel tank & spare wheel in front of the rear axle, engine tilted backwards as much it’s possible by regulations.

Placing the spare wheel behind the rear axle and the fuel tank above or behind (maybe not a good idea for safety reason) the rear axle would make the cars more like throwing a hammer handle first around a corner.

With more power and less grip the cars would be more aggressive out of corners.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa