Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

Silly Season speculation

Eight races down--surely it's not too early to guess who may be on the move.

Let's not put too much stock in contracts, shall we? We know how useful they really are when the team wants someone else in the cockpit.

Except for Maldonado, the drivers are doing a good job. Kimi has been under some scrutiny as well, but when the car issues are sorted out, he will be on the pace.

Will Williams be looking to upgrade their drivers? Alonso and Vettel must both be casting some longing eyes that direction. Of course, the team is not known to throw money at drivers, but Alonso can bring a big sponsor or two.

I like Checko a lot, but Nico has been both quick and reliable (even though he lost places on the last lap in two consecutive races). Can a better team lure him away? And would he necessarily want to be with another team?

Sauber can't be happy with their driver pairing, especially after having Sergio and Nico, both of whom got special results for the team.

Has Jules done enough to leave Marussia? Max is improving, so JB better leave before Chilton gets too close too his pace.

If STR sticks to form, Vergne needs to shop around. Drivers don't stay at the junior team for four seasons. He's been better in qualifying, but his race results have been lacking.

Mercedes will want to keep both drivers, but will the loser want to stay? Still time left for a major intra-team meltdown.

Who on the sidelines will get a chance (or 2nd chance)? Frijns? Pic? Di Resta?

Who from GP2 may move up? Palmer? Cecotto? Coletti? Nasr?

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if we saw wholesale change at the back. With the possible exception of Bianchi, none of the Sauber, Caterham, Marussia or Lotus drivers have done anything significant this year. Unless they are bringing a lot of sponsorship (like Maldonado) they have to be on thin ice. Even Grosjean has been ordinary this year (in an admittedly woeful car).

At the front I think there will be little or no change. Mercedes are rock-solid unless the Rosberg-Hamilton relationship goes toxic like McLaren in 2007. Red Bull are happy with their two and unless one of the big guns becomes available I can't see Williams making a change. Force India must be reasonably happy with their guys as well. Kyvat is safe at STR but JEV looks a little shaky.

Ferrari won't want to let Alonso go and he's under contract until 2016 so he's not going anywhere unless he's really unhappy (which is an increasingly likely situation if Ferrari keep giving him average cars). Raikkonen could be on thin ice if he doesn't pickup his game. Ferrari brought him in because they weren't happy with the disparity between the points scoring efforts of each side of the garage. Unfortunately 2014 is just as bad as 2010-2013. It will probably take someone like Vettel wriggling free of his contract somehow to entice Ferrai to dump the Finn (again).
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
    Based on Toro Rosso's history, I don't expect JEV to last the season. I predict Sainz jr to replace him with JEV being relegated to the Red Bull test/show team unless he can find a drive elsewhere (a shame as he was considered a future champ not that long ago, so maybe JEV and Ricciardo are special and it just wasn't obvious when they faced each other in the same team).

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    My sources indicate that hiring Maldonado was a stopgap solution until Lotus could find new partners in order to secure a long-term contract with Jacques Villeneuve. Fingers crossed.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    My sources indicate that hiring Maldonado was a stopgap solution until Lotus could find new partners in order to secure a long-term contract with Jacques Villeneuve. Fingers crossed.
    That was just a ploy , as JV is set to take Kimi's seat at Ferrari .

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Some general thoughts.

Big players - for a long time it has been discussed, when will Vettel change teams. Hamilton did in 2012, Alonso and Räikkönen done multiple occasions. But now it is crunch period of Vettel. RBR is not the team to beat in the new regs era; Newey is rumoured to move away from F1 activities, etc. It is the right time for Vettel to look for alternatives to jump away from Red Bull before they are firmly in midfield - like Hamilton left McLaren before McLaren was firmly in midfield. Sometimes you have to react and make moves in anticipation, trust the gut feeling of what does the long-term bring before you have already dropped back with a sinking ship. But where? Mercedes is closed and Ferrari, McLaren are all very much a gamble at this stage. But you often need to take a gamble and hope it works out.

Contenders for big seats.
    Last year Ricciardo moved into a top team. Who are the drivers looking to move up now?

One is Grosjean, who is doing well in a rubbish car. He could compete for instance for the McLaren seat, but there seems to be a long list of drivers trying to get in there. Kvyat has been impressive, but I think he has to wait till potentially Vettel has left RBR. Bianchi - he seems to have ability to be at least a solid midfielder, but can he find a place? oes he have budget to make a move? Hülkenberg has long been knocking on the door of top teams, but right now he is in a good place and there doesn't seem to be an opening to even a better team.

Going out - Maldonado, Chilton, Ericsson, Gutierrez, possibly Sutil all depend on the budget they bring. If the money dries out, they'll be out for sure. Vergne's days could be numbered too.

Coming in - possibly Vandoorne and/or Sainz Jr. Other than that - paydrivers.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    What???

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Based on latest...

It looks like Alonso it torn between Ferrari and McLaren. If Alonso stays in Ferrari, I expect the majority of teams to remain the same (Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, Force India, probably Lotus too). However, if he joins McLaren, the implications could be interesting in several teams. But first let's wait for the news and Alonso's ultimate decision.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Just the fact that Alonso has mentioned other possibilities is very telling, as that is not his style. I really wouldn't blame him if he moved on from Ferrari, as he has tolerated an absolute pig of a car since being there. He might have the same thing at McLaren, but chances are the $$$ payoff for driving a pig with a Honda engine would be greater.

10. Likes: A FONDO (30th September 2014)
    Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

Mercedes - No changes other than the number 1 on one of their cars

Red Bull - No changes Vett is a 4 time champion and Ricci is a future 4 time champion

Ferrari - Alonso to give it one more season for the team to get their sh1t together and produce a decent car
    Raikonnen to be replace with either Jules Bianchi or Roman Grosjean

Williams - No changes, both drivers are already confirmed

Force India - No changes, both Hulk and Perez are doing well enough (unless Ferrari go with Nico), then JEV

McLaren - Difficult call. One final season for JB before Alonso arrives from Ferrari
    Mag has done well enough for a rookie in a difficult car.

Sauber (if they are on the grid) Sutil to stay
    Gutierez - to be replaced by a big bag of money (or JEV)

Torro Rosso - Drivers already confirmed

The Black Team formerly known as Renault - Maldonado is confirmed
    - JEV in the other car unless some rich kid shows up

Caterham (if at all) - Two rich kids from GP2 or GP3 or ????

Marussia - Rossi
    - Some rich Russian
    Last edited by anfield5; 30th September 2014 at 01:16.