Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Thread

So here we are. After 18 of these we come the the final one of the season.

The 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix will be the first and hopefully the last double points race in F1 history and could be a key factor in deciding the 2014 F1 World Championship.

This is the weekend we find out whether Nico will join the ranks of World Champion or Lewis Hamilton moves onto the next level. Multiple Champion.

Moving in the final round these are the standings.

1 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 334
    2 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 317
    3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 214
    4 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 159
    5 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 157
    6 Valterri Bottas Williams 156
    7 Jenson Button Mclaren 106
    8 Felipe Massa Williams 98
    9 Nico Hulkenberg Force India 80
    10 Kevin Magnussen Mclaren 55
    11 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 53
    12 Sergio Perez Force India 47
    13 Jean Eric Vergne Toro Rosso 22
    14 Romain Grosjean Lotus 8
    15 Dani Kyvat Toro Rosso 8
    16 Jules Binachi Marussia 2
    17 Pastor Maldonado Lotus 2
    18 Adrian Sutil Sauber 0
    19 Marcus Ericsson Caterham 0
    20 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber 0
    21 Max Chilton Marussia 0
    22 Kamui Kobayashi Caterham 0
    23 Andre Lotterer Caterham 0

An interesting battle for 4th-6th in the Championship.

As for the title. If Rosberg wins then Hamilton due to double points has to finish second. Its going to be a tense race.

1 Mercedes 651
    2 Red Bull 373
    3 Williams 254
    4 Ferrari 210
    5 Mclaren 161
    6 Force India 127
    7 Toro Rosso 30
    8 Lotus 10
    9 Marussia 2
    10 Sauber 0
    11 Caterham 0

2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

55 Laps

Lap Record: 1:40:279 - Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull 2009

Session Times - Local & (Uk -Sorry )

FP1: 13:00-14:30 - (9:00 - 10:30)
    FP 2: 17:00-18:30 -(13:00-14:30)

FP3: 14:00-15:00 - (10:00-11:00)
    Quali: 17:00 - (13:00)

Race: 17:00 - (13:00)

Previous Winners

2009: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
    2010: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
    2011: Lewis Hamilton - Mclaren
    2012: Kimi Raikkonen - Lotus
    2013: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull

So there we go. The final race of 2014 is only a few days away. What will it hold.

Hope you have enjoyed these previews over the season. Not sure whether I will do them in 2015. Lets wait and see.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

2. Likes: A FONDO (18th November 2014),jens (18th November 2014),rjbetty (18th November 2014)
    Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    We all hope for a good ,fair race to decide the championship.
    And hope MB are honest and fair to both it's drivers too

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driveace View Post
    We all hope for a good ,fair race to decide the championship.
    And hope MB are honest and fair to both it's drivers too
    I'm looking forward to this one. This is a chance for Lewis to show if he is mentally stronger than other occasions. I'd like to see him go out there and pulverize the field for his second world title.

The most important thing this weekend is that the drivers are fair and that Nico doesn't try and take Lewis out again or try backing him into the pack so as someone can steal 3rd from him so I think it's important for Hamilton to get pole here and lead from the front.

Roll on Sunday!

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I'm looking forward to this one. This is a chance for Lewis to show if he is mentally stronger than other occasions. I'd like to see him go out there and pulverize the field for his second world title.

The most important thing this weekend is that the drivers are fair and that Nico doesn't try and take Lewis out again or try backing him into the pack so as someone can steal 3rd from him so I think it's important for Hamilton to get pole here and lead from the front.

Roll on Sunday!
    Unfortunately I think Nico is going to be too strong on this occasion, as he flies at Abu Dhabi and came 3rd last year, some way ahead of Hamilton who was 7th...

Nico to take pole and victory. I maintain my season long conviction regarding the title, thus one final sting in the tail is going to befall Lewis.

Sadly, this isn´t reverse psychology, but what I believe will happen...

At least Nico will gain a small helping of credibility over the final standings, if he edges Hamilton thru this weekend.

Hamilton has impressed me in ways this season. He still is a bit too good at making things difficult for himself at times, but is really getting there. He deserves the title simply for Malaysia to Spain alone, as he has been behind the 8 ball from the very first race through no fault of his own. To painstakingly get those points back, he did a great job.
    Last edited by rjbetty; 18th November 2014 at 12:57.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty View Post
    Unfortunately I think Nico is going to be too strong on this occasion, as he flies at Abu Dhabi and came 3rd last year, some way ahead of Hamilton who was 7th...

Nico to take pole and victory. I maintain my season long conviction regarding the title, thus one final sting in the tail is going to befall Lewis.

Sadly, this isn´t reverse psychology, but what I believe will happen...

At least Nico will gain a small helping of credibility over the final standings, if he edges Hamilton thru this weekend.

Hamilton has impressed me in ways this season. He still is a bit too good at making things difficult for himself at times, but is really getting there. He deserves the title simply for Malaysia to Spain alone, as he has been behind the 8 ball from the very first race through no fault of his own. To painstakingly get those points back, he did a great job.
    Abu Dhabi is like Lewis's backyard - last year he had a lot of car balance issues if memory serves me. I don't think he'll be able to match Lewis this year or at least not beat him by much if he does .Yeah, Lewis made things difficult for himself in Austria and Silverstone alright this year but other than that you really can't fault how he has driven throughout the season.

I can't see Nico gaining much credibility if he beats Lewis this season given the things he has done but if he does win the title then he does and that's the way it will be! It doesn't mean he is the better driver, just that his combination of cheating and gammy double points was enough to put him ahead of Lewis in the end.

As for those that commented on Nico and backing the pack up - that is correct it is technically not in breach of any regulations. Going to be an intersting weekend

Liked 646 Times in 511 Posts

Roll on Sunday!
    I don't see backing The Boss into the pack as being unfair, as long as he is not brake-checking him. It would mean two things; Nico either out qualified him, or has beaten him off he line (or otherwise passed him) and has earned the right to control the race from the front. It is up to Lewis to pass Nico or defend his position in 2nd. Nicos task in this race is to win the WDC not finish first in a Mercedes 1-2.
    May the forza be with you

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    I don't see backing The Boss into the pack as being unfair, as long as he is not brake-checking him. It would mean two things; Nico either out qualified him, or has beaten him off he line (or otherwise passed him) and has earned the right to control the race from the front.
    Then you risk getting taken out, even if it's by accident. It doesn't matter how you get crashed because either way you don't win the title. The best bet is always to just race.

That, and I don't ant to see any cheap games. This is the world championship, not Nascar.

Liked 646 Times in 511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
    Then you risk getting taken out, even if it's by accident. It doesn't matter how you get crashed because either way you don't win the title. The best bet is always to just race.

That, and I don't ant to see any cheap games. This is the world championship, not Nascar.
    Dawg a lot of other scenarios could play out and another one than the one I'm referring to IS MORE LIKELY. IF it came into play it could be Nico's last/only tactic left for him (if he can even get ahead of Da' Boss). If he didn't try it he will be ridiculed for not doing everything within the rules to whup The Boss.
    Best to see if straight racing can win him game, set, and match, IF NOT HE WILL, AND WELL SHOULD TRY SOMETHING EXTRAORDINARY mate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQsZujjZWs0
    May the forza be with you

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts

Roll on Sunday!
    With the number of times this season that Lewis has shown he can pass Nico on track - I don't think there's any chance that Nico would try backing Lewis up. If he tried it, it would be like gifting Lewis the win.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Backing a driver into traffic isn't really illegal or even unfair. It is pretty genious driving tactic if done well and well within the rules if you can hold the other guy up cleanly without pushing off the track. I remember what Ferrari did in 1997 Suzuka. The mind still blows about how exactly did they do it, but Irvine was fast when needed, held up when needed, and Schumacher won. Or Malaysia 1999, when Schumacher held up Häkkinen all race long, so that Irvine could win.

However, with DRS and two very long straights in Abu Dhabi it is almost nigh impossible to deliberately hold another driver up, who has the same engine , so there it goes...

I mentioned "same engine", because Mercedes advantage over Ferrari/Renault power units is so significant they may indeed hold them up if they wanted, because they can't get top speed advantage even with an open DRS...

12. Likes: journeyman racer (22nd November 2014)