Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    I don't think Pro drive was ever involved in F1. There was all sorts of talk but I don't believe it ever materialized. David Richards was often mentioned in rumors about being a team's next director, but that never materialized either.

With the way the small teams are dropping out of sight, maybe Richards saw something we didn't.

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    What's the lineage from Mercedes to Tyrell? As I understood it the Merc is from Brawn>Honda>BAR who were a new team from Prodrive when they started?
    Nope. British American Tobacco bought the ailing Tyrell team. Hence the name BAR. Prodrive was rumoured to be interested at around the same time, as was Dome, who even ran a Postlethwaite designed test mule with Verstappen Sr., but both projects never took off.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Ah, gee. I forgot all about Dome! They built some interesting Lemans cars in the late70/early 80s.

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster View Post
    Nope. British American Tobacco bought the ailing Tyrell team. Hence the name BAR.
    Well,... Yes and no. Yes, BAT bought the Tyrell *franchise*, but they basically shut down the entire team and built a new one from scratch, IIRC.

I believe the relationship between Toleman and Benetton was only slightly less tenuous.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    What's the lineage from Mercedes to Tyrell? As I understood it the Merc is from Brawn>Honda>BAR who were a new team from Prodrive when they started?
    Not much apart from BAR purchased some stuff from Tyrell I seem to remember. Or something like that
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Nope. British American Tobacco bought the ailing Tyrell team. Hence the name BAR. Prodrive was rumoured to be interested at around the same time, as was Dome, who even ran a Postlethwaite designed test mule with Verstappen Sr., but both projects never took off.
    Ah right, knew that BAT were team owners initially (remember being annoyed that they weren't allowed to run two separate liveries so had to have that stupid 'zip' livery), but thought that Prodrive were also involved. Have read a bit more and the Prodrive involvement was later in 2001 when Dave Richards and co ran the team as part of a management contract. Also didn't realise that any of the team had links to Tyrell...and to be honest it doesn't seem like they did, other than taking their position on the grid, so to speak.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Well I'm assuming that BAR got Tyrrells prize money from 1998? And BAT already had a major stake in the team from 1997.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    No, although BAT bought Tyrells F1 entry BAR were effectively a brand new team. Prodrive had a contract with BAT to manage BAR after they got rid of Pollock which is how David Richards and Nick Fry got involved with the team. Once Honda bought the team Prodrive withdrew leaving a couple of people behind like Fry.

Postlethwaite designed Honda's 1999 f1 car with people he brought with him from Tyrell but Dome had nothing to do with the project whatsoever. The car was built by Dallara. Dome built some f1 prototypes to attract Honda support but the car manufacturer was never interested in working with them for f1.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Also didn't realise that any of the team had links to Tyrell...and to be honest it doesn't seem like they did, other than taking their position on the grid, so to speak.
    I believe the registered company number has remained the same to this day, from Tyrrell via BAR, Honda and Brawn to Mercedes.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Tyrell's connection to BAR may be tenuous, but it is there, even if it's just because they are direct replacements. So it counts for these purposes.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums