Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts

General Le Mans/Prototye?GT talk

Undeterred by the abysmal failure of a similar thread on the Motorbike and Touring car boards. I'm starting one here.

What I want to know, but it's not worth starting a specific thread for, is this.

What is the record for the least amount of driving for a Le Mans win?

If the record was from the 40s or whatever, then I'd like a list of minimal time/laps driven for a win, to account for drivers of recent decades.

If the record is held by a multiple winner, then I'd like similar results for a single LM win.

Thank you.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Shouldn't this be on the History forum?
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

You could. I'm not fussed. I start these threads so I can express random thoughts on that type of racing, whenever I choose, without having to start specific threads.

Actually. It's probably a good idea to combine this and the Touring car thread and put it in the MH board. If you'd like to, good. If not, then that's ok too.

Last weekend, I went the the Aus GT round at Phillip Island. It was supposed to be a 101 lap/454km race. But due to time constraints, ended up being about 400km. It was a very brisk day at PI, and the race ended in darkness.

These cars (mainly GT3) provide a great visual/spectacle. Seeing a pack of cars with different coloured lights beaming was fun to see. I spent most of my time sitting between T1 & 2, just off of it. At the start, or on a restart. You see the field make their way around Doohan corner (t1) and then snake around Southern loop (t2) was a great buzz.

6 days after being part of the team that won the Nurburgring 24h, Christopher Mies won it! Partnered with local racer Greg Crick. That's a heck of a week!

This race often coincides with Eurovision. While Crick may be unknown to you. It was a good omen for Sweden that he won. Because the last time he won an Aus GT race was this May PI round in 2012!

Also. It was my first experience of seeing the Bentley live. I resisted the fanfare of it joining the Bathurst 12h. But up close, seeing it rumble around, was a good experience and I was looking out for it as it came around.

There was also a Ginetta G55 GT3 there as well. A kid, Matt Campbell, had it challenging for a podium starting from the rear of a 33 car field! That was a heck of a car to see live as well. I don't know if any of you have seen it live, but it's a good one as well. Speaking to some of the other spectators, it's definitely won a few fans. Hopefully those cars will be present at next year's Bathurst 12h.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Would love to get to an endurance race, but most of the ones over here are at Silverstone, where I understand the viewing areas are a long way from the actual track. Have done the Le Mans Classic a few times and really enjoy the atmosphere and spectacle of racing into the night.

I'm not sure about doing Le Mans itself, I love the race and try to watch as much as possible on telly, but I think that actually being there I would get annoyed with the number of people there just to say that they were. Think I need a trip to Spa over the next few years
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.