Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz View Post
    Hit back with an argument about my own country, which is not the subject of this discussion, wouldn't you?

The answer about members of the government being elected is they are elected in very few countries if any. It is the parliamentarians who are elected and who the government members report to. The thing about EU is that the balance of powers there is heavily skewed towards the executive branch. EU is effectively controlled by the European Commission, which is a law upon itself and is not really accountable to anybody. The unaccountability of the government is a big issue in my country and that's exactly where I'm coming from.

You are also apt at finding negativity where there is none. "Foreign" in this case means "unaccountable to local people", that's it. "Foreign" per se might be as good as it gets, but in the context of governance, governing bodies have to be accountable to their constituencies. The European Commission is clearly not accountable to the voters of any given EU country. This situation is not negative or positive. It is just unacceptable.

BTW, if I may, what is the income tax rate that you pay in your country?

16%
    Last edited by Big Ben; 9th March 2016 at 08:59.

I don't see it as 'hitting back'. It looked like a good example to show that foreign doesn't equal bad and local doesn't equal good. I don't think the government of the UE is perfect. On the contrary, it has many problems but the 'Brexit' is not the way forward for anyone. I'd rather they stayed in it and try and fix it. But as I said, there're barely in right now. Whenever there's something going in the UE do you have hear anything about Britain's contribution to solving the problem?

Britain has plenty of problems of their own making but it's always easier to blame everyone else.

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    16%
    Pretty good and quite un-EU like...
    Llibertat

I don't see it as 'hitting back'. It looked like a good example to show that foreign doesn't equal bad and local doesn't equal good. I don't think the government of the UE is perfect. On the contrary, it has many problems but the 'Brexit' is not the way forward for anyone. I'd rather they stayed in it and try and fix it. But as I said, there're barely in right now. Whenever there's something going in the UE do you have hear anything about Britain's contribution to solving the problem?

Britain has plenty of problems of their own making but it's always easier to blame everyone else.
    I'd say they are fully in and they are not happy with the deal they are getting. It's like a marriage, which came to a crisis. If I were a Brit, I'd try try to renegotiate the deal as hard as I can, then look at the result and see if it is worth conducting a referendum. That's what Cameron is doing, but he lacks some steel in his spine, some god ole British Steel...
    Llibertat

I'd say they are fully in and they are not happy with the deal they are getting. It's like a marriage, which came to a crisis. If I were a Brit, I'd try try to renegotiate the deal as hard as I can, then look at the result and see if it is worth conducting a referendum. That's what Cameron is doing, but he lacks some steel in his spine, some god ole British Steel...
    Yes, it's like a marriage with 28 spouses where britain's the one that wants to keep her money but wants to eat with the family too .
    An union where every member is getting a special deal would work so much better than the one we have now, wouldn't it?

Yes, it's like a marriage with 28 spouses where britain's the one that wants to keep her money but wants to eat with the family too .
    An union where every member is getting a special deal would work so much better than the one we have now, wouldn't it?
    Britain is a net donor to the EU budget, not a net recipient, isn't it? If it wants to eat with everybody, it does so based on the fact that it pays the bill, unlike some other party guests. Also, these days everybody stands for free trade. If Britain wants free trade with EU without political submission, what's wrong or illegitimate with it?
    Llibertat

Britain is a net donor to the EU budget, not a net recipient, isn't it? If it wants to eat with everybody, it does so based on the fact that it pays the bill, unlike some other party guests. Also, these days everybody stands for free trade. If Britain wants free trade with EU without political submission, what's wrong or illegitimate with it?
    Who are these other party guests?

One that comes to mind is Lithuania. I recall at the height of the economic crisis in 2009 some 30 per cent of its budget came as a direct monetary infusion from EU. The country would go bankrupt otherwise. This is just one example.
    Llibertat