Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    to add to my previous post,

no one would be talking about Hamilton if he was coming in positions 5-10, people would say solid but not spectacular, should have gone with PDLR, needs to get more out of the car if Alonso is winning races with it, etc, etc, etc. In fact prior to the season, no matter what people thought of McClaren, they had Alonso pegged for winning races and challenging for the WDC. They thought Hamilton would struggle initially with the rigors of F1 as a rookie, the expectations and having the reigning 2 time WDC as his teammate.

1. Now that he has surpassed all these expectations and is tied for the lead in the WDC, people are quick to point out that it's the car rather than him.

2. Commenting that he hasn't paid his dues in a lowly team. This is an absurd argument. If he was as talented, gifted, quick, efficient and possession of great race craftsmanship, then why would a top team pass on him. It reminds me of the JV situation. I think a lot of people have trouble/or are jealous of those drivers who instantly step into the top teams. Imagine if Alonso stepped right into Ferrari, would the same argument hold up?

3. Covering the best story in F1 this year isn't hype, it is good journalism. I am not sure what you want the F1 press core to be writing about instead. Unless they want to loose an audience, readership, etc. They better feed the public's appetite to knowing this guy better. He seems to be handling it well, why can't the rest fo you.

4. There might be a hint of discrimination here by the critics. Not overt and not full blown, but a little put off that LH has made such inroads into F1 so quickly while their compatriot is not being talked about in the press. The fact that LH is all the rave right now and the challenge in accepting him in their inner sanctum of respect, admiration and perception as an outstanding driver.

4. With today's media outlets, cable, magazines, especially the internet, it just provides an insane amount of channels to discuss/talk/report and herald in this young Lad. The fact I'm even discussing this on a board wasn't really around 10-15 years ago. Imagine how JV would have been reported with today’s media outlets. (case and point Button) . Fan rings, Podcasts, personal websites, blogs, and video sites all heap on the huge media outlets ready and available for the public. It is to the point where balanced journalism isn't required anymore and the practice of favoritism, criticism and adulation seem to be the norm. Everyone passes the buck on fair and balanced journalism.

In conclusion, Hamilton doesn’t control the media and therefore should not be blamed for their content. Take your issue up with the magazine, website, etc and not on LH. All he has done so for is to far exceed anybody's expectations and already in his 3rd race; write a bit of history, and challenge for the WDC.

Whatever you think, you must concede that that is impressive and worth writing/talking about.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinchote
    On the other hand, there is this driver who won his first race ever in a Ferrari, and I don't remember his name.
    Baghetti I think it's his name.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Did you guys read my post in the other Hamilton thread?
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    That's certainly true. Everything being said about Hamilton has to be balanced against the number potential 'greats' we've seen come and go over the years. But there's just a feeling about this guy that he's the genuine article. The same was thought of the likes of Senna and Schumacher - there was a sense of inevitability that they would achieve great things in the sport before they even reached F1.
    I agree with that. But I would have to add that there have been other drivers who came to F1 looking almost as very good prospects, and they didn't really cut it. Alesi would be the typical example.
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I agree with that. But I would have to add that there have been other drivers who came to F1 looking almost as very good prospects, and they didn't really cut it. Alesi would be the typical example.
    ............and bunsen? :

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Or Montoya, I was sure, that he'd be a world champion.
    Formula 1

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Jan Magnussen.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1boat
    Or Montoya, I was sure, that he'd be a world champion.

So was I - I had posted that JPM's arrival in F1 brought a breath of fresh air to the competition. When he was on song, he was unbeatable; but so many things happened to dampen his spirits and end his career in F1. I would have loved to have seen him drive for Ferrari.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Jan Magnussen.
    Many parallels can be drawn between Magnussen and Hamilton. Both were devastatingly quick and dominant in the lower formulae, both were tipped for world domination before they even turned a wheel in a Grand Prix car and of course both were given their F1 debuts by McLaren. One crucial difference is that Lewis's temperament seems better suited to the job of being a 21st century F1 driver, than the fun-loving, smoking Dane.

Once, whilst waiting at an airport with the McLaren team, Magnussens bulging suitcase burst open, to reveal all his possessions scrunched together haphazardly. Although it sounds trivial, the ever-fastidious Ron Dennis often cites this incident as an early indicator that Magnussen would never make it in F1. As we know, Magnussen went on to endure 2 difficult seasons with Stewart, before leaving F1 at the age of 24 (?) to race sportscars, where he has acheived some success.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Baghetti I think it's his name.
    Giancarlo Baghetti, who had Ferrari's #4 entry. Outdrafted Dan Gurney's Porsched at Reims after the top Ferrari drivers (von Trips, Hill and Richie Ginther) had problems. Of course, the 156 had a 30 bhp advantage on every other car in the field on a pure speed track.

Baghetti was lost in the shuffle with the Rodriguez brothers at Ferrari and finished his career with the decision to join Hill at ATS in 1963. With today's team structures, there is little danger of that kind of thing happening to Hamilton.

ClarkFan
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Samuel Clemens