Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts

Anyone ever had an insulting pay rise?

If you live in the UK you may be aware that the minimum wage has increased by 19p/hour this October. This is a higher increase than in previous years due to the the minimum wage rising slower than inflation in previous years.

For the last 8 years my employer has always increased its hourly rate at the same rate as the minimum wage increase. Keeping it at a fixed level above the minimum wage. For instance, if the minimum wage increased 8p/hour, my pay also increased by 8p/hour.

However, this year my basic pay has increased by a significantly lower amount than the minimum wage increase. I stress that I am still paid above the minimum wage, but not by the same level as the previous years.

Do I have a legitimate grievance? I think it's quite insulting.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    When I actually get a pay rise, I will let you know. (
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Depends on whether everyone else got the same raise as you did or more or less. Everything's relative in a case like this.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    I'd like to be insulted with any rise. But at my institution salaries are frozen for years.

I think a private employer is obliged to pay the minimum level but otherwise he's free to decide the rise for those who gain over that level.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Of course a private employer can pay what it wishes if they pay at least the minimum wage, but it still feels like my work is valued less in comparison to what it was previously.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Complain to your boss that you feel you've been shabbily treated.

At the same time, apply for other jobs to establish what you're market value is, then offer your boss the opportunity to match it.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I would say a rise is a rise and that you shouldnt complain.

My worst ever payrise was £500pa but I have also had years when I have had no rise and once took a pay cut in the short term when swithing to my current job although I have since had rises which mean that I now earn more than I previously did.

We get an appraisal grade where I work and last year my grade although perceived as the 'norm' and achieved by approximately 80% of staff didn't qualify for a pay rise. The only people getting a rise were those that got promoted or were deemed to be consistently performing above their grade which was about 10% of the firm. I did get a payrise but only because I asked for a rise in my appraisal meeting and gave reasons as to why I thought I deserved one. Sometimes if you dont ask, you dont get.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Yeah I had three years of no rise at all that was pretty insulting I can tell you.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Part of my annual wages are paid through cashing in company stock options, granted at a share price set 12 months ago. Right now, with the way the markets are declining, I actually owe the company money .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    How do options work?

I thought it was if the price goes up you have the option to buy shares at the old price. But if the share price goes down, you have the option of not buying.

Cashing them in is simply selling the right to someone else. Or is it buying at the old price and immediately selling at the new higher price? This year your option is worthless so you can't sell it and you don't want to buy your shares for more than the current market price. The only way you can owe the company money is if you foolishly opt to buy the shares anyway even though the price you pay is higher than market price.

But I could be wrong.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.