Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

2014 BTCC Rounds 28-30 at Brands Hatch

So its the final round of the 2014 season at Brands Hatch.

I was going to go, but circumstances mean I have had to miss it this year. So amongst the GP, BTCC and Euro 2016 Qualifiers I have a busy day

Anyway

1. Turkington = 417
    2. Plato ===== 367
    3. Sheddon == 317

So what will we see in the final event of this season.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    So its the final round of the 2014 season at Brands Hatch.

I was going to go, but circumstances mean I have had to miss it this year. So amongst the GP, BTCC and Euro 2016 Qualifiers I have a busy day

Anyway

1. Turkington = 417
    2. Plato ===== 367
    3. Sheddon == 317

So what will we see in the final event of this season.
    Well, Turkington doesn't need to take any risks. He can afford to lose plenty of points to Plato and still win comfortably.

Shame race one had to start with a multiple shunt. It did look rather a ham-fisted move on Giovanardi's part — not the first from him this season.

But what Turkington doesn't need is someone like Jackson going onto the grass on the inside at Clearways to try and get inside him...

Wow an incredibly incident filled race two.

Not a nice way for Plato to treat the new Champion and punting him off on lap 2. I wonder if he will be penalised.

Giovanardi very lucky to get away with that spin, so many cars heading straight for him. Very scary.

So sad for Adam Morgan. Although he seems happy enough. He drove a great race and a win would have been great.

29 down and 1 to go then.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell View Post
    Shame race one had to start with a multiple shunt. It did look rather a ham-fisted move on Giovanardi's part — not the first from him this season.
    Yes he seems to have been involved in these incidents far to often this season.

He seems to be struggle with his race craft.

What a deserving champion Turkington is. I can think of few more so. Best driver in the championship, driving the best car. All the moaning about the BMW's unfair superiority misses the point — such will always be the case in a non-one-make championship. It's not as if Collard and Foster have been up front all year too.

For some reason the 2014 BTCC hasn't done it for me. Unlike some, I don't think it's down to the quality of the field of drivers — it's no worse than during, say, the Sierra Cosworth days (in fact I'd argue it's better), and Super Touring's heyday was a bit of an aberration in terms of all the international talent, some more talented than others. The driving standards, too, have generally been very good in 2014, until today's destruction derby. Rather, it's a pity that no-one has been able to put together a consistent challenge to Turkington. Plato has had his problems and the MG isn't quick everywhere; Shedden had a very anonymous season, and Neal a woeful one; what the problem was for Jordan after the first few rounds I've no idea; and the rest just weren't quite there. Collard has had a good season, as has Jackson, but neither was title material.

Of the two returning ex-champions, Menu has on occasion looked the part, and I'm sure would have won races were he not lumbered with that big VW — I think he's actually been more impressive than his team-mate Smith despite the latter winning two races and ending up higher in the points. Giovanardi has been a bit of a liability at times and appears further past his best than does Menu.

As for the remainder, Morgan has done well in a new car, especially in the second race of today; Tordoff has had some bad luck, but otherwise driven well; Ingram might well be a good prospect; and Aiden Moffat shows promise. Otherwise, no-one has really transcended their experience or equipment. It seems very hard to do so in the BTCC of today.

Not a nice way for Plato to treat the new Champion and punting him off on lap 2. I wonder if he will be penalised.
    I hope so, but for some reason expect not. A shame towards the end of a season in which Plato has otherwise driven very well and generally extremely cleanly.

Giovanardi very lucky to get away with that spin, so many cars heading straight for him. Very scary.
    The rest of the field showed excellent judgement in avoiding him, especially given all that smoke.

Yes he seems to have been involved in these incidents far to often this season.

He seems to be struggle with his race craft.
    Yes. It reminds me of when he first came into the BTCC in 2006 — he didn't look like the superstar he was supposed to be, with an awful lot of silly incidents as he over-drove a poor car. Trouble is, now he looks truly erratic as well.

Interesting final race, with a good run by Jack Clarke. I think, however, TOCA should (if it's possible in terms of circuit operating hours) alter the timings of this last meeting to allow the final BTCC race to run a bit earlier in the day. For three years running now it's ended with race three finishing not just in the wet, but almost in the dark. Seems unnecessary to me.

Wow.

Drama at the final race, it was ever so wet. I reckon an F1 race would have been stopped long ago in conditions like those these days.

Anyway I fully agree about the start time

I mean 5:15pm in the UK in October is within the last hour of daylight anyway, so then to know the rain is heading in (as the weather said for 3 or 4 days) and the likelyhood anyway of low cloud.

That all seems to add up to poor decision making on behalf of the organisers

Good driving though despite the conditions and great to see Jack Clarke get a second place.

Oh well another season over.

Its been fun. Roll on 2015