Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Stints

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Tire Stints

Does anybody remember the order of tire stints for Ferrari Mclaren and BMW at Bahrain? I.e. soft soft hard etc.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    I think they get stashed on the F1.com news archives.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I think its 4 tyres, 4 tyres and maybe also 4 tyres. :
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    I think its 4 tyres, 4 tyres and maybe also 4 tyres. :
    Oh, sorry about the post in the Ant thread, I guess you really do think you're a comedian :

Anyway, a little off topic, but at least tire stint related. Why didn't the back marker teams take a few gambles in Bahrain? Example, why didn't Ant go one stopper? I know the hards where slower, but if you don't expect to finish in the points anyways...

And why not start on the hards? Any backmarker team starting on the hards would have been able to dump them in favour of the softs during the safety car period and not really lose anything...

With the new tire rules I would have expected some teams to roll the dice

Perhaps Bridgestone should have brought softer tires, so that they would be faster, but not last as long, so that the tire decision isn't so easy...
    The Preceding post may have contained nudity, sexuality, violence, coarse language and Jacques
    Villeneuve and is intended for a mature audience, parental guidance is advised.
    So you wanna know what the PS Stands for.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I was originally trying to see what the lap time differences were between stints, and what could be attributable to tires/fuel load etc.

Seemed like there was some statement RE all the top teams being on the same strategy ssh, and 444.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PSfan
    And why not start on the hards? Any backmarker team starting on the hards would have been able to dump them in favour of the softs during the safety car period and not really lose anything...
    Liuzzi did that, it was a big gamble and it seemed like it was paying off, but then other problems hampered his race.
    Iceman: Adjective 1)Rapid, swift 2)Nickname of Kimi-Matias Räikkönen, a legendary Formula 1 driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tintop
    I was originally trying to see what the lap time differences were between stints, and what could be attributable to tires/fuel load etc.

Seemed like there was some statement RE all the top teams being on the same strategy ssh, and 444.
    Well if you know what tires they are on, and you have the patience, you can always watch the dots, and note what they are getting for lap times on there...

Use this to note when the drivers are going to pit:

http://www.formula1.com/race/result/pitstops/772/8.html

then you can use this to track their lap times on the different compounds:

http://www.visionf1.com/

Seems like alot of work, but heck be a while before the next race... it'll help keep ya busy :
    The Preceding post may have contained nudity, sexuality, violence, coarse language and Jacques

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aryan
    Liuzzi did that, it was a big gamble and it seemed like it was paying off, but then other problems hampered his race.

Good catch, guess I didn't notice during the race. But was just watching my pvr of the race, and the speedtv guys did note that it may be a good gamble fo Luizzi... To bad the car didn't have the legs to make it to the end...

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PSfan
    Why didn't the back marker teams take a few gambles in Bahrain? Example, why didn't Ant go one stopper? I know the hards where slower, but if you don't expect to finish in the points anyways...

With the new tire rules I would have expected some teams to roll the dice

Perhaps Bridgestone should have brought softer tires, so that they would be faster, but not last as long, so that the tire decision isn't so easy...
    The teams have reported the differences between the various compounds is around 0.4s per compound. With a sole tyre supplier we're going to have some huge discrepancies between the different compounds.

In Bahrain the softs were the tyres to have because it offered grip and durability. Ant, for example, couldn't 1 stop because his engineers would've reasoned that the drop off in performance in doing a long stint with hard tyres would be too much for a Aguri chasing a Toyotas, RBRs and Renaults.

Massa could afford to 1 stop in Australia because the Ferrari is light years ahead of most teams.

Starting on a hard tyre and relying on the SC period, well, you never know if or when the SC will ever appear.

So far, the softer tyres have the tyres to use at the start because you need the grip to overtake as many cars as can at the first phase of the race, which is what both Massa and Ant mentioned recently.