Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Would Alonso feel a short term contract with Lotus (and Mercedes power) a better solution while he waits to see if Honda are any good, or if Lewis leaves Merc in 2016?
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Sky were reporting yesterday that Alonso told Spanish media he would not be using a Mercedes engine next year. Can anyone confirm that? It would rule out the Lotus possibility.

3. Likes: kfzmeister (13th October 2014)
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    More importantly, are any technical and executive staff moving to Ferrari?

Changing one driver will not change their fortunes.

Vettel might get lucky like Hamilton did when he moved to Mercedes but I'm not sure.
    Someone very close to Vettel went to Ferrari, like a race engineer, but about some major staff in the factory I don't know. It is said though that 2015 is the first car with full James Allison input, but we will see.

Interestingly 2014 Ferrari chassis may not be that bad, but it is badly let down by the power unit, which is not only behind Mercedes, but also Renault. Hence we do not have a good idea, how good potential the chassis might have. So Ferrari has a lot of work to do to improve the power unit and to achieve that they should properly reform the engine department, but I don't have an idea, what are the developments there except former engine chief Luca Marmorini was let go this summer and a new guy put in place instead of him.

The worst days for Ferrari may be over. Starting a new regulations era is always difficult, especially if you get it wrong. 2009 was also bad for Ferrari, but they were somewhat better in the subsequent seasons. However, even if Ferrari is somewhat better in the next few seasons, it still seems like a tall order to catch Mercedes, like it was hard to surpass Red Bull in aerodynamics in the past years.
    Last edited by jens; 13th October 2014 at 15:35.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko View Post
    Would Alonso feel a short term contract with Lotus (and Mercedes power) a better solution while he waits to see if Honda are any good, or if Lewis leaves Merc in 2016?
    Lotus may not suit him, I think Fred is one of a select group of pilots that actually expects remuneration for his services.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    Someone very close to Vettel went to Ferrari, like a race engineer, but about some major staff in the factory I don't know. It is said though that 2015 is the first car with full James Allison input, but we will see.
    Kenny Handkammer, the chief engineer, who was sacked on the spot in Suzuka goes to Ferrari. And Vettel's former race engineer at Toro Rosso, the one who oversaw his first win at Monza '08, is Maranello-bound, too.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster View Post
    Kenny Handkammer, the chief engineer, who was sacked on the spot in Suzuka goes to Ferrari. And Vettel's former race engineer at Toro Rosso, the one who oversaw his first win at Monza '08, is Maranello-bound, too.
    Yeah.
    For truly succeeding I do think Ferrari needs to further strengthen its technical team. However, the new management of Ferrari has barely taken control in the office, so I guess it takes time before they make those changes.

It was clear that the former management led by Domenicali (and Di Montezemolo) was too conservative and it cost them dearly. Already before this season Ferrari usually brought out evolutionary cars, which were "safe" in terms of bullet-proof reliability, but often lacking ultimate speed. This mentality of stagnation has been properly found out in the new regs era. For Ferrari to succeed, their whole team needs a proper re-adjustment in car design philosophy. Hopefully there is will in the new management to make those changes, but it could take few years before they take full effect.
    Last edited by jens; 13th October 2014 at 20:53.

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Well.... about Alonso "not going to a Mercedes powered team"....

McLaren will be using Honda next year...
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster View Post
    Not too unusual, nor original. Remember mid 90's, when Herr Schumacher et al left Team Bennetton to join Ferrari, and by late 90's-early 2000's how first the car and later both car & driver started winning?
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
    ... and, it seems, Daniel doesn't have too much of a problem with this whole thing either.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116386
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Interesting view from Maurice Hamilton, who suggests it could be Alonso and Vettel at McLaren next year. He made the point that only Horner said Vettel was going to Ferrari, not Vettel or Ferrari.
    McLaren must now be the best funded of the non manufacturer teams thanks to the Honda partnership and they could no doubt afford both Alonso and Vettel. I just can't see it though, Vettel signing up to play second fiddle to Alonso? Nah, that I think that would be a bad move seeing as he has clearly found Ricciardo to be more than a match for him.
    I said that a few pages back. I've heard that Vettel may be going to McLaren with Alonso. Nobody except some RBR folk has actually said he is going to Ferrari. As I said already, Vettel doesn't strike me as a guy that wants to do it the hard way. He wants everything handed to him. Since he knows he has been exposed as an average driver now and is no match for Ricciardo, McLaren is his next best bet for a competitive car next year. Though I am pretty sure Alonso would destroy him, it would be an exceptionally interesting pairing.

Interestingly, Jules Bianchi's crash could have put a fly in the ointment though. I reckon Ferrari were going to sign Bianchi's to their team for next year with Alonso going. Now that Bianchi will probably sadly never drive a F1 car again it puts a fly in the ointment and could be a lifeline for Jenson Button or Magnussen.

With Bianchi out of the mix it is likely Ferrari are renewing their efforts to get Vettel's services now or else maybe Button/Magnussen's/Hulkenberg. Either way, I think Alonso will be at McLaren. But I find it more likely Vettel will be at McLaren than Ferrari. Now that would be a real chance for Vettel to prove himself against the driver whom everyone, unless their name is DJ, regards as the best driver on the grid.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 17th October 2014 at 20:31.