Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
Okay...
I admire what has been done though I disagree with some of the methodology. Some races, where a driver very obviously had a problem, but is "classified", are still counted? While some accident, where said driver was responsible or partly responsible, are not counted for score?
Is there a problem?

Other than that... quite obviously Massa had worse reliability than Hamilton in 2008, so that's where he lost out. Especially if we include the Singapore pitstop as a "reliability" problem as well. Pit light signaling system reliability or whatever it was.
I made the distinction in the op to be able to call it a "non-driver error, did not finish" (nde/dnf)

2003 is very complicated to work out. Montoya had a couple of car failures from the front (Austria, Japan), Räikkönen retired in Europe from the lead, but also Schumi lost chunks of points due to puncture in Germany.
I can only take into account issues that I'm certain of. I'm fine to make adjustments and credit it if there's conclusive evidence.

If I am not mistaken, "reliability-corrected" 2012 should see Hamilton right up there near the front. He retired from the lead with car failures on multiple occasions.
I am only using form of the season. While it's plausible to say Hamilton may've won races he suffered a mechanical dnf from. I'm not going to guess what position he'd have finished in. He also might've had driver error dnf in 12, had he continued in those races. Just like the meltdown he had late in 10.

1991 is interesting. Mansell definitely retired a few times, though I am still unsure whether the Canada incident was his fault or car fault. Arguably he lost attention on the final lap, waved to the crowd and pushed the wrong button. But is it myth or not? Because based on that depends if we can "give" this race to him or not.
Do you really want to know the truth?