Hybrid View

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Actual Standings:
    59 - Piquet
    57 - Prost
    49 - Arnoux

This is the critical result which changed the complexion of the '83 season.

Dutch Grand Prix
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiI-g_rqxcU
    What the heck Prost? What's going here? Eejit!

1983 should have ended:
    69 - Piquet
    63 - Prost
    49 - Arnoux

I still think that Prost should have been 7 times world champion. 1988 is a disgrace and 1990 was a criminal act. 1984 though, is a nonsense. It's just that 1983, was entirely his own fault.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    1988 is a disgrace and 1990 was a criminal act. 1984
    88 was down to the points system and being required to drop scores, but you're right if all the races counted Prost easily wins.

However, if you want to throw out 1990, you also have to throw out 1889 when Prost clearly turned into Senna at Suzuka and initiated the collision. Senna rejoined won the race but was DQed because he restarted from the escape instead of going back to where he went off. I thought that was pretty petty considering that he lost all that time, had to pit for a new wing, and still ran Naninni down and passed him for the "win."

That, and Senna would have never had to use the escape road if Prost had not turned into him, and that's what sealed the championship for him!

Things were made worse because JM Balestre was running the FIA and was firmly in fellow Frenchman Prost's corner no matter what had transpired. It just reeked of a fixed championship.

If Suzuka had stood with Senna winning, he's the champion. However, I almost don't care because it was those two chopping, blocking, swerving and crashing into each other deliberately that set those tactics as the ones to use if you want to win.

I've only gotten so deep into this thread but wanted to comment. It will be interesting to see your take on 94, if you have not already posted it.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
    However, if you want to throw out 1990, you also have to throw out 1889 when Prost clearly turned into Senna at Suzuka and initiated the collision. Senna rejoined won the race but was DQed because he restarted from the escape instead of going back to where he went off. I thought that was pretty petty considering that he lost all that time, had to pit for a new wing, and still ran Naninni down and passed him for the "win."
    That, and Senna would have never had to use the escape road if Prost had not turned into him, and that's what sealed the championship for him!
    Prost's line into that chicane doesn't seem to deviate that far off what he would have taken. Given that the rear view mirrors on the MP4/5B are so small, I honestly think that Prost never saw him.
    Senna was trying to jam a car into a space where it wouldn't fit. This was a racing incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
    I've only gotten so deep into this thread but wanted to comment. It will be interesting to see your take on 94, if you have not already posted it.
    Schumacher's line into Hunt Street doesn't seem to deviate that far off what he would have taken. Schumacher and Hill definitely had visual contact but Hill tried it anyway.
    Hill was trying to jam a car into a space where it wouldn't fit. This is mainly Hill's fault.

The truth is that Hill wouldn't have even got close in the points to Schumacher if it wasn't for the two race ban, which he'd picked up in Britain. Schumacher was in effect penalised four times for one offence.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Schumacher's line into Hunt Street doesn't seem to deviate that far off what he would have taken. Schumacher and Hill definitely had visual contact but Hill tried it anyway.
    Deliberate, but instinctual.

Of course, that was another time, but I think Jerez now erases all doubt about Adelaide. Once was maybe an accident, but Jerez established a pattern.

The truth is that Hill wouldn't have even got close in the points to Schumacher if it wasn't for the two race ban, which he'd picked up in Britain. Schumacher was in effect penalised four times for one offence.
    Yep, it was a BS call, but that did not justify taking Hill out.