Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts

The road navigation thread.

Following on from my parking ticket thread, you might have gathered I drove to London this weekend, but I was wondering what is the best route to London from North West England?

Your main options are:
    M6 - M42 - M40
    M6 - M1

or if you are north of Manchester:
    M6 - M61- M60 - M62- M1 (as James May did in the Top Gear economy race)

or north Cumbria:
    A66 - M1

Obviously a big factor is the area of London you are heading to and the time of day. The motorway signs advise using the M40 for west London, but as there were roadworks this weekend I took a chance on the M1 and used to North Circular, which was quiet at night but will be horrific at busier times...

So if you have a road journey coming up and are unsure what route to take, put your question to the great minds of this forum who will give your their input.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Is there any way of avoiding the M6 around Brumm? I regularly go up to visit my son in Chester and haven't had a clear run yet.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

You could use the M5 on the west side of Birmingham?
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Best option is:
    M1 - A50 - M6

The A50 is a surprisingly quiet road and skirts Derby and Stoke. Apart from a nonsense roundabout at Uttoxeter, a lot of it is grade separated intersections.
    It also answers D-Type question of avoiding Brum.

The A50 even makes a passing mention on Pathetic Motorways in the article for the unbuilt M64, which it more or less de facto is.
    http://pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/m64/
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Is this just a theory or have you tried this route yourself?

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    All depends if you're prepared to spend on the M6 Toll but even then much of the M6 is best avoided.

I second the thought about the A50 otherwise use the A66. Long distance routing in the UK is fraught with bottlenecks and jams.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    All depends if you're prepared to spend on the M6 Toll but even then much of the M6 is best avoided.

I second the thought about the A50 otherwise use the A66. Long distance routing in the UK is fraught with bottlenecks and jams.
    A66 from Preston would be a bit random.

But I've been to Silverstone with my brother from Carlisle and A66 - M1 is the preferred route.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow View Post
    Is this just a theory or have you tried this route yourself?
    I drove from either Blackpool or Liverpool down to London on a number of occasions. The whole run into London via Spag Junction is a nonsense and the M40 which is the other reasonable road was seemingly stuck in perpetual roadworks.
    But it's been more than a decade since I was last in the UK; actual real world conditions will have changed by now.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!