I recently had to pick up a new printer when my old one bit the dust. It didn't break my heart because I needed to upgrade anyone, due to a job change and greater demands for an all in one device.

So I picked up a new HP printer/fax/san/web/copy device. As usual plenty of choices and good value. The one I got was about $150 and fits my needs well.

But here is the kicker. The printer uses the web to keep track of how many pages you print, and reports them to an Instant Ink service once you sign up. Based on usage habits and capacity of the cartridges, it predicts when your ink needs will hit, and they ship ink to you. So essentially the printer orders the ink it needs. It seems a well thought out plan, as they ship ink when you are down to a 2 month supply based on your use habits.

Costs are great too, with plans as low as $3 a month for those that print 50 pages or less. I signed up for the 300 pages a month plan for $10, and any overage is only $1 for each 25 pages. You can also roll over unused pages to the next month similar to the way many cell plans used to work. If I print less, I can alter the plan at any time to less pages per month and less cost.

1 XL black cartridge and 1 each of the color for this printer was $90 retail. Based on use from time of purchase I'd estimate a minimum of $25-$30 monthly in ink costs at my use levels.

I'll let you all know how well it works. It looks like this will make life easy for me, and save my company money as well. Even though I don't pay for my own ink (I expense it to the company) it should be worth it in time savings alone.