Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    It actually makes things easier for all the moderators to keep track of it, because any actions taken through the system, either giving points or banning are posted so all the other mods can see it, so it gives a clearer picture of what's going on.
    Do we get to see what points we have?
    Super Aguri Honda - "the two Japanese friends," Rubens Barrichello
    22. Takuma Sato :).....
    23. Anthony Davidson :up:.....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    (More stuff that needs to be sorted out so it can go into the FAQ Dave is preparing)

I think that it needs to very clear what constitutes an offence. As mentioned, certainly in Touring Cars, links appear to EBay items. These tend not to be posted by the seller but if there were a lot of them, each in new threads, it would be as bad as spam (maybe there should be a single thread for this if people want it).

In terms of offending another member. I feel that if someone were to post a personal attack or insult to someone else in response to being publicly attacked or insulted themselves then both members should receive penalty.

That is, being abusive should rightly be punished without exception. As being provoked is no excuse. There is a Report Post function let us not forget, and Private Messages to iron out personal differences.

On another note. A couple of years ago, within a Touring Cars sub-forum, it became apparent that an individual was creating new accounts (and virtual friends) to back them up and support their troll-like behaviour.

It is one thing creating accounts for light-hearted jokes, say, but doing so purely to strengthen ones self in petty forum battle, or to bully other members should be punished harshly (as I think it was at the time).

I'm sure that the example I used isn't the only time it has occurred. Maybe be nice to have some sort of published forum rule about it (in the FAQ Dave.. : )

Lastly, I don't like to see **** appearing all over posts. It isn't necessary to swear in order to communicate your feelings about something.

So, maybe even when censored, a member should be expecting penalty points for inappropriate language. Attempting to avoid censorship should be worth extra penalty points too.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Yes. This is what it looks like
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nitromaster
    I think that it needs to very clear what constitutes an offence. As mentioned, certainly in Touring Cars, links appear to EBay items. These tend not to be posted by the seller but if there were a lot of them, each in new threads, it would be as bad as spam (maybe there should be a single thread for this if people want it).

In terms of offending another member. I feel that if someone were to post a personal attack or insult to someone else in response to being publicly attacked or insulted themselves then both members should receive penalty.

That is, being abusive should rightly be punished without exception. As being provoked is no excuse. There is a Report Post function let us not forget, and Private Messages to iron out personal differences.

On another note. A couple of years ago, within a Touring Cars sub-forum, it became apparent that an individual was creating new accounts (and virtual friends) to back them up and support their troll-like behaviour.

It is one thing creating accounts for light-hearted jokes, say, but doing so purely to strengthen ones self in petty forum battle, or to bully other members should be punished harshly (as I think it was at the time).

I'm sure that the example I used isn't the only time it has occurred. Maybe be nice to have some sort of published forum rule about it (in the FAQ Dave.. : )

Lastly, I don't like to see **** appearing all over posts. It isn't necessary to swear in order to communicate your feelings about something.

So, maybe even when censored, a member should be expecting penalty points for inappropriate language. Attempting to avoid censorship should be worth extra penalty points too.
    I think it's all to do with the way it's used.

If I was to say "I had a **** day today" I don't think that's too bad.

But for instance if I said "Martin you're a ****head and blah blah **** this **** that" then I think points are called for
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Personally I find "*****..." just as disrespectful as the actual words.
    There is no need for vulgar language, in any form, as this is supposed to be a family forum.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel

But for instance if I said "Martin you're a ****head and blah blah **** this **** that" then I think points are called for
    Yes, exactly.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel

No, in terms of bad language they are both the same.

In the first example, why can't it be "I've had a bad day today" (if it were bad), or something more descriptive like "sad day", "boring day", "long day" or "tiresome day" for example?

In the second, it is not so much the swearing but the abuse which would earn you penalty points.

I accept that some censored words may not really be considered that offensive by many people. And then I don't doubt some will say that my view here is being boring.

But I really don't see how using bad language is all that creative.

Quote Originally Posted by nitromaster
    I accept that some censored words may not really be considered that offensive by many people. And then I don't doubt some will say that my view here is being boring.
    Your view here is being boring, my good master of the nitro! There's little to be gained from simply blocking away a significant part of the English language. A part that can be used for producing witticism, sarcasm, comedy.

So I say, **** you!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm not against swearing, as I do it myself, but as this place is a family forum, the rules should be respected. If you can't say "hit", then you shouldn't be able to say "h1t" either.

Note: Word truncated to protect the innocent

Quote Originally Posted by BeansBeansBeans
    I'm not against swearing, as I do it myself, but as this place is a family forum, the rules should be respected. If you can't say "hit", then you shouldn't be able to say "h1t" either.
    Agree with that. Just a matter of bettering the filters a little though, isn't it?