Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 124 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory View Post
    Because people have short memories and the majority of McRae fans never saw Mikkola, Waldegaard, Blomqvist, Alen, Rohrl and Munari anyway.
    In an era where mechanical sympathy as well as extreme car control was necessary I feel C McR would have had a huge DNF list against his name.
    I wouldn't phrase my opinions as 'forthrightly' as JVV but people's achievements can never be viewed in isolation from their failings.
    I'm sure that Ogier and Loeb would have adapted to be successful had they lived in the 2wd era but it was a far more competitive time and neither would have dominated back then.
    Yes its funny, maybe because I am a bit older and it all wasn't plastered on the internet or TV when I was younger (and impressionable) but when you watch those older generation guys that you mention flinging cars around the hills and see the conditions in which they did it I have a lot of respect for them. You hear them describe cars like the Lancia Stratos and the technique required to drive that fast and it sounds very frightening!

Liked 1,446 Times in 828 Posts
    9 Years today, R.I.P Colin

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts

Great McRae Onboard:

https://youtu.be/1sAbQ5wRr0o
    Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 15th September 2016 at 11:26.
    #M-SPORTER

4. Likes: Eli (15th September 2016),er88 (15th September 2016)
    Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundo Farb View Post
    My Brother knew Colin when he drove for Ford. Nice guy, he drove cars - quite fast, in fact he won a World Championship, then he died through a lack of judgement.
    My Brother knows Stig Blomqvuist (also from when he drove for Ford) nice guy, he drove cars - quite fast, in fact he won a World Championship, he isn't dead.

Why do we always remember the ones that die yet not the ones that live?
    Because as soon as someone dies, they become holy in people's eyes. It is basic human psychology. You may never say bad things about someone that died and all their faults are forgotten. The dead are always remembered more than the living. Wanna become eternal? Do something really big and then die...

Why?
    Now that's an interesting question...

(I should add that I liked McRae so I don't mean anything negative about him personally)

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    McRae was idolised by rally fans for his driving style while he was still driving and then when he retired, not just after his death.

His attitude, his speed, his crashes, even the computer games... they all contributed to his image and made him special.

Other great drivers are respected, McRae was loved.
    #M-SPORTER

7. Likes: Rally Power (17th September 2017)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    I wonder how the families of those that he killed feel each year when they read about how great he was.

9. Likes: janvanvurpa (15th September 2016)
    Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    McRae was idolised by rally fans for his driving style while he was still driving and then when he retired, not just after his death.

His attitude, his speed, his crashes, even the computer games... they all contributed to his image and made him special.

Other great drivers are respected, McRae was loved.
    That pretty much sums it up.

In a recent issue of Motorsport News they asked drivers past and present to list their top five rally drivers of all time. McRae came out second to Loeb in the list. Undoubtedly there are drivers with better stats, who achieved more in their careers than Colin. What people respected above all else was his commitment behind the wheel.

I was 7 when he won the title and happily I was at the RAC that year. I look back on him now and the best way I can describe him is 'flawed brilliance'.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

11. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (15th September 2016)
    Liked 98 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    I wonder how the families of those that he killed feel each year when they read about how great he was.
    wtf are you serius?It was an accident even his son was killed.
    R.I.P.Colin Mcrae

13. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (15th September 2016)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spyros View Post
    wtf are you serius?It was an accident even his son was killed.
    Really ? was the fact that he was flying too low, doing dangerous manoeuvres and without a licence an accident too ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-14803595

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...sh-report.html
    Last edited by N.O.T; 15th September 2016 at 12:55.

15. Likes: Jasper (15th September 2016)
    Liked 359 Times in 191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    Really ? was the fact that he was flying too low, doing dangerous manoeuvres and without a licence an accident too ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-14803595

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...sh-report.html
    The crash was invistagated by experts and relevant parties, all I'm sure are better at it than you are. This is meant to be a nice thread to remember a lost hero and families. Apologies on my behalf to other forum members for feeding the troll by reponding.

Let's please move on and look fondly dirving exploits and let those who have left us in peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYFWf_thxUY

17. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (15th September 2016),Rally Power (16th September 2016)