This year's rules for The Chase have really enhanced it quite a bit. I like the idea of "winning" being emphasized, but on the other hand, I would like that emphasis to be strengthened.

What I would like to see is The Chase field be reduced to just 10 drivers. Then eliminate 2 after the first three races, 2 more after the next three races, 2 more after the next three races, and then have the remaining 4 decide the championship in the last race (as they do currently). Why change it from 16 drivers to 10? It would eliminate the feeling that if you win just one race, you're in The Chase. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. kept saying all weekend that he felt like he'd been on vacation since the Daytona 500. I just think it would be better if winning one race was seen as just the first step in ensuring your place in The Chase.

Out of the top 10 in this year's Chase, the Busch Brothers and Denny Hamlin had only one win, but Kahne, Almirola, and Allmendinger all had one win too and would not have made The Chase under what I propose in my tweak.

I just would like it better if a driver didn't feel comfortable about being in The Chase until he had won two or three races.