Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    TJ13 have a very interesting article on the subject: http://thejudge13.com/2014/08/24/f1-...puncture-gate/

I'd single out this bit: "TJ13 is aware the Stewards looked into the incident during today’s race, quickly concluding no further action was required. For their part, they felt that Hamilton had not fully complied with the rules, leaving it nigh on impossible to hand a punishment to Rosberg for causing a collision."

Their point is basically that, according to the rules, Hamilton should have given Rosberg room. He didn't and Rosberg didn't yield either, therefore causing the collision. Now, I agree with pretty much everyone in here: Rosberg was the main responsible for the accident. Lewis should have given him more space, he didn't, and the result is that they crashed. It's the same brand of aggressive racing we have seen in the previous races and the "win" went to Rosberg the same way that it could have been the German earning a DNF and Hamilton winning the race.

2. Likes: Mia 01 (24th August 2014)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    TJ13 have a very interesting article on the subject: http://thejudge13.com/2014/08/24/f1-...puncture-gate/

I'd single out this bit: "TJ13 is aware the Stewards looked into the incident during today’s race, quickly concluding no further action was required. For their part, they felt that Hamilton had not fully complied with the rules, leaving it nigh on impossible to hand a punishment to Rosberg for causing a collision."

Their point is basically that, according to the rules, Hamilton should have given Rosberg room. He didn't and Rosberg didn't yield either, therefore causing the collision. Now, I agree with pretty much everyone in here: Rosberg was the main responsible for the accident. Lewis should have given him more space, he didn't, and the result is that they crashed. It's the same brand of aggressive racing we have seen in the previous races and the "win" went to Rosberg the same way that it could have been the German earning a DNF and Hamilton winning the race.
    If that's the case then it's another example of the Stewart's making ridiculous rulings! Hamilton could not have given Rosberg any further room and he was always ahead of Rosberg. Never once did Nico have a chance of passing him! The second chop of the steering wheel from on board Rosberg's car is all you need to look at to see what really happened here. It's extremely clear. Many drivers went through that corner today in the same position and chose to save their car. Look at Vettel on the first lap. You har to be smart. It was Rosberg's fault - 100%. I have to say this incident has enraged me more than any other in recent years. What is really infuriating is that Nico has cheated twice this year and gotten away with it because of dozey Stewart's on both occasions and that will probably be what wins him the championship. If that happens I honestly will be disgusted with F1.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 24th August 2014 at 23:55.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    You're probably right. But the thing here is that, according to the regulations, Lewis should have left more room and failed to do so. Rosberg was not required to yield and so he chose not to do so, unlike in other cases (hence his 'on purpose' bit). So even if the collision had been intentional, which I'm not sure anyone could say with certainty, the stewards' hands would be tied.

Besides, as I said before, I think we're lambasting Rosberg rather unfairly. That kind of accident can go many ways, and in the same way that it ended up with Lewis outside of the points, both of them could have spun or maybe it would have been Rosberg ending up with a front wing lodged below his front wheels and crashing out. I honestly think it's ridiculous to claim that Rosberg had any intention of taking Hamilton out, as has been implied by some, since the result might just have been the opposite.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    If that's the case then it's another example of the Stewart's making ridiculous rulings! Hamilton could not have given Rosberg any further room and he was always ahead of Rosberg.
    If this was a claim for motor insurance, this is Rosberg's fault. The car behind always assumes the fault for any nose-to-tail accident.

Hamilton's response though, should be to race harder and better. He hasn't done that; that in my opinion proves why he won't win this years' WDC. He has a choice to either whinge or work harder; he's choosing to whinge.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    If Lewis' tyre wasn't punctured then no one would be talking about this.

I think Rosberg was trying to add pressure to Lewis by forcing him to change his line on the exit of Les Combes and they met in the middle. It was still very much Nico's fault and he was very lucky he didn't do more damage to his front wing.

It was very unwise with 42 laps left of the race and 7 races left in the season that they can still fail to win.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Nico's fault he was chasing and should have stayed clear, but a bit of a storm in a teacup really. As Nico basically said, he wasn't backing off and shit happens. Tell them both to settle down and go and race. It is not the first time two cars ahve touched during a race and it wont be the last

Liked 682 Times in 478 Posts
    I thought it was nothing more than a racing incident. Nico squeezed Lewis hard on corner entry, and made it clear that the cars were overlapping. Lewis didn't back out at all and took the usual line, but didn't fully clear Nico. Having watched the onboard a number of times it looked to me like the erratic move by Rosberg was to get back on line enough to keep from going off, and he probably thought Lewis had cleared the front of his car.

Nico did IMO cause the incident, as it was a done deal that Lewis would retain the lead at that corner. But I don't think it was intentional.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
    I think today also makes what happened in Monoco qualifying look a bit more suspect.
    To even suggest that today's incident was intentional is even more bonkers than the conspiracy theory that Rosberg's Monaco qualifying crash was intentional.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    If that's the case then it's another example of the Stewart's making ridiculous rulings! Hamilton could not have given Rosberg any further room and he was always ahead of Rosberg. Never once did Nico have a chance of passing him! The second chop of the steering wheel from on board Rosberg's car is all you need to look at to see what really happened here. It's extremely clear.
    Sorry, but malicious intent is not clear at all. The second steering wheel correction was necessary because otherwise Rosberg's car would have ended off the track. He braked and corrected his direction and his maneuver could have worked without an accident, as we see happen in almost every race in similar situations. If Rosberg's car was literally a couple of inches behind, this incident wouldn't have happened. Anyways, this type of collision is extremely common, and we have seen even more experienced drivers commit this type of error (was it Vettel or Button making the same error two years ago?). Most of the time, it's the car that's behind that suffers the most in this type of accident as it has to get back into the pits to change the broken wing.

The way I see it, Rosberg made an overly aggressive move and made a mistake. He suffered from it just as well as he had to go back into the pits to change his wing. Hamilton was a victim, but Hamilton also had some real bad luck because of the tire puncture as tire frequently does not get punctured in this type of accident.

In the end, it's bonkers to suggest that the accident was intentional as we could have seen the outcome being completely the opposite (e.g. if Rosberg's wing detached and broke his suspension or wheels). What we saw was a racing incident, Rosberg's mistake, Hamilton's bad luck, but Rosberg was luckier. Rosberg's error might or might not have justified a penalty. I'll leave that to the experts to debate. If Rosberg should have been punished for this, then everyone else who caused the same type of collision in the past should have been punished too.
    Last edited by zako85; 25th August 2014 at 06:25.

11. Likes: Mia 01 (25th August 2014)
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    sorry, but malicious intent is not clear at all. The second steering wheel correction was necessary because otherwise rosberg's car would have ended off the track. He braked and corrected his direction and his maneuver could have worked without an accident, as we see happen in almost every race in similar situations. If rosberg's car was literally a couple of inches behind, this incident wouldn't have happened. Anyways, this type of collision is extremely common, and we have seen even more experienced drivers commit this type of error (was it vettel or button making the same error two years ago?). Most of the time, it's the car that's behind that suffers the most in this type of accident as it has to get back into the pits to change the broken wing.

The way i see it, rosberg made an overly aggressive move and made a mistake. He suffered from it just as well as he had to go back into the pits to change his wing. Hamilton was a victim, but hamilton also had some real bad luck because of the tire puncture as tire frequently does not get punctured in this type of accident.

In the end, it's bonkers to suggest that the accident was intentional as we could have seen the outcome being completely the opposite (e.g. If rosberg's wing detached and broke his suspension or wheels). What we saw was a racing incident, rosberg's mistake, hamilton's bad luck, but rosberg was luckier. Rosberg's error might or might not have justified a penalty. I'll leave that to the experts to debate. If rosberg should have been punished for this, then everyone else who caused the same type of collision in the past should have been punished too.
    qft.
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.