Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts

Question Engine ODB Diagnostic Phone App

Curious, anyone ever try a similar app?
    Do they work? How reliable are they?

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/engi...591557194?mt=8

Sorry, wasn't quite sure which forum to post this.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke View Post
    Curious, anyone ever try a similar app?
    Do they work? How reliable are they?

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/engi...591557194?mt=8

Sorry, wasn't quite sure which forum to post this.
    I've used one called Torque Pro for Android and it is actually a very good app and does quite a lot depending on the support of the vehicle. The biggest concern is getting the right bluetooth or wifi adapter. Most are inexpensive but if the Apple apps follow the trend look at customer feedback as some seem to work much better than others.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque

The one I've used was well worth the money, and I'm going to be ordering the app and adapter soon.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    ... The biggest concern is getting the right bluetooth or wifi adapter. ....
    Thanks airshifter. That's the part I didn't quite understand. Is this some kind of dongle that needs to be plugged into the ODB port? :cornfused:
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke View Post
    Thanks airshifter. That's the part I didn't quite understand. Is this some kind of dongle that needs to be plugged into the ODB port? :cornfused:
    Yes, you plug an adapter into the OBD port. In the case of Apple phones I think all apps that I know of use Wifi for some reason, while Android devices use Bluetooth. This way you have the ability to read and in some cases take snapshots of live data without cables. Some of the apps have a lot of features, and you can reset and read codes, see live data outputs such as engine temp, timing, ect. Support varies car to car but on some you can see data that isn't usually displayed even in gauge form on the car, like transmission fluid temperature.

For the low cost of the adapter and software (often the advanced version software is a few bucks while the basic is free) it's worth it the first time you use it to read or reset a code. If you had some type of phone dock in the car, you could also use it to display data while on the go. Lots of possibilities.

Just do a little digging on the software and adapter. Some software has support forums and lots of users, so they did up all kinds of tricks that might not even be documented, as well as resolve bugs with certain cars. The adapters for the most part work, but some are just easier to deal with. A little searching will often find that you can buy a very cheap adapter and have it still function as well as the ones costing $100.

The one I used had a grand total for adapter, shipping and software of under $20, and it worked great.

I'm actually surprised in a motorsports forums that we don't have more people that use such things and turn their own wrenches. I actually usually LIKE working on our cars. Even when it's a needed repair rather than just regular maintenance I get satisfaction out of knowing I'm saving a chunk of money while doing something I enjoy.