Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts

Max Verstappen to drive for STR in 2015?

Red Bull's motorsport director Dr. Helmut Marko just announced on ServusTV (Red Bull's German-language TV channel) that Red Bull have signed up sixteen-year-old Max Verstappen, son of former Benetton and Arrows driver Jos "the Boss", with a view to have him in a Torro Rosso F1 race seat as early as next year, which would make him at then 17 years the youngest F1 driver ever.

Max was present as well, and I have to say that his father's pronounced self-confidence was passed well on
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    That seems crazily young.

I would hope he could have a bit more build up. I mean Kimi came in after only about 17 car races, but surely that is unusual?
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    I just saw a post on the BBC Sport's Facebook page that Max will be driving for STR next season.
    I think this mean that Vergne is gone because Kyvat has impressed so far.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I feel sorry for JEV. He has 11 points to Kyvat's 6 and yet Kyvat is raved about
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Surely nothing to do with Russia having a GP, whereas France doesn't

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Red Bull (STR) are in danger of making a mockery of F1. A kid with no experience no matter how good is NOT right for Formula 1. At 17 he is not mature enough to race at what is supposed to be the top level of motor sport.

No disrespect to young Max, he may very well be the first Dutch GP winner and even world champion, but this is absurd.

As to STR dumping JEV, that is equally stupid and short sighted. 12 months ago he was on the verge of joining RBR, and just look at what Daniel R. has done there this year.

7. Likes: steveaki13 (18th August 2014),truefan72 (18th August 2014)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    I've said it before and will say it again,
    STR is a farce from a management level

the amount of talent they have wasted and mismanaged is now reaching absurd levels
    they need to focus on producing better cars than playing musical chairs with drivers. The drivers aren't the problem, and dropping a 17 yr old into the deep end of pool, with no experience and a crap car is a recipe for disaster. If STR form holds true. Verstappen will be out of F1 by his 19th birthday and join the likes of Speed, Buemi, Alguersari, and others in the STR scrapheap.

If penske had any sense, they would/should sign Vergne and buemi for next year, and make rossi their 3rd driver.
    you can't argue with results.

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    I've said it before and will say it again,
    STR is a farce from a management level

the amount of talent they have wasted and mismanaged is now reaching absurd levels
    they need to focus on producing better cars than playing musical chairs with drivers. The drivers aren't the problem, and dropping a 17 yr old into the deep end of pool, with no experience and a crap car is a recipe for disaster. If STR form holds true. Verstappen will be out of F1 by his 19th birthday and join the likes of Speed, Buemi, Alguersari, and others in the STR scrapheap.

If penske had any sense, they would/should sign Vergne and buemi for next year, and make rossi their 3rd driver.
    Or he'll progress to RBR and be a world champion or at least race winner before his 20th birthday It's not like it has been all failure for STR - they have produced the likes of Vettel and Ricciardo, after all.
    And while I agree that their treatment of drivers hasn't always been great, at least they give the opportunity to young drivers (which is the whole purpose of running a junior team, I suppose). With the exception of Speed and Bourdais, who really didn't impress much, every driver has been given at least two seasons of racing for STR. If they failed to sufficiently impress during that time, a younger, promising driver comes in - that's the way it goes.
    As for a recipe for disaster - well, most people were saying that when Sauber gave Kimi a chance in 2000 and he did reasonably well, didn't he.

And why would Penske want to sign up Vergne & Buemi - for their IndyCar or NASCAR program? Or did you mean Haas Formula (who won't be joining F1 until 2016)?

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Or he'll progress to RBR and be a world champion or at least race winner before his 20th birthday It's not like it has been all failure for STR - they have produced the likes of Vettel and Ricciardo, after all.
    And while I agree that their treatment of drivers hasn't always been great, at least they give the opportunity to young drivers (which is the whole purpose of running a junior team, I suppose). With the exception of Speed and Bourdais, who really didn't impress much, every driver has been given at least two seasons of racing for STR. If they failed to sufficiently impress during that time, a younger, promising driver comes in - that's the way it goes.
    As for a recipe for disaster - well, most people were saying that when Sauber gave Kimi a chance in 2000 and he did reasonably well, didn't he.
    Ok, 17 is not 19, that is at least 2 years of proper racing difference.
    Also, I have never disputed the quality of drivers Red Bull has had. I have argued against their ridiculous carousel and especially at STR a complete mismanagement of their drivers
    Vergne could easily have been at RBR this year, and i suspect he would have given Vettel a run for his money as well.
    And "impressing" at STR is purely down to the car. The year Vettel impressed, that STR car was a beast and more than capable of running in the top 10 and even challenging for podiums.
    Ricciardo and Vergne were about equal last year in a dodgy car, so there is that. As long as the car is fragile, and sketchy, then there will never be a good measure of talent.
    I stand by my prediction that in 2 years he will be out, at an age when most drivers would start considering entering GP2 and if they are lucky F1.

Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    And why would Penske want to sign up Vergne & Buemi - for their IndyCar or NASCAR program? Or did you mean Haas Formula (who won't be joining F1 until 2016)?
    Yes I meant Haas. was having a moment earlier, my apologies, lol :/
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    What has he exactly done to deserve a F1 seat at 17? Having an ex F1 driver as Dad? (I liked Verstappen!)
    Has he won any series? (I read he is in some sort of F3 and winning a few races there - http://www.mundodeportivo.com/201408...413158948.html) Basically is there anything that has shown his skills as being outstanding to debut at such an age?
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

12. Likes: truefan72 (19th August 2014)