Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts

Spanish bros, put down your tapas and explain this

If Alonso is really better than Raikkonen and even Vettel, then why are the three of them being paid the same salary?

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/207581/...arns-most.html

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    I have to ask the question, since when has a drivers salary been a barometer for their ability? They are paid what they negotiate before the contract is signed. There is no set standard that teams refer to, nor do they communicate between each other to judge what a driver is paid.

Ricciardo is paid 21,250,000 Euro's less than a team mate who he is beating comprehensively this season, so this alone demonstrates that contracts are negotiated at different points in a drivers form and cannot be a measurement for ability. It is also worth remembering when a driver becomes World Champion, their bargaining tools become that little bit stronger. Welcome to the piranha club

3. Likes: Duncan (18th August 2014),truefan72 (15th August 2014)
    Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Ferrari were nuts for paying Kimi so much for doing nothing during his sabbatical, and are even more nuts now for paying him so much during this year's sabbatical
    United in diversity !!!

5. Likes: Tazio (22nd August 2014)
    Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    The rumour is that Fred is in negotiations for a new contract worth around 50 millions/year, or get the same amount from Honda/MacLaren. Perhaps MacLaren could consider Kimi instead?

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    If Alonso is really better than Raikkonen and even Vettel, then why are the three of them being paid the same salary?

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/207581/...arns-most.html
    Yes the forum has been a bit quiet lately

Raikkonen must have the world's greatest agent. He became the highest paid driver ever when he moved to Ferrari in 2007, then they paid him a year's salary to do nothing in 2010, and now they're paying him a pile of cash to do next to nothing again. His manager is really earning his 10%.

Ricciardo looks like outrageously good value for Red Bull. I hope he's on some good success bonuses in addition to that $750,000.

8. Likes: Big Ben (22nd August 2014),Duncan (18th August 2014)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Raikkonen must have the world's greatest agent. He became the highest paid driver ever when he moved to Ferrari in 2007, then they paid him a year's salary to do nothing in 2010, and now they're paying him a pile of cash to do next to nothing again. His manager is really earning his 10%.
    Steve Robertson found his calling. I'm surprised he didn't manage his own career better. Didn't even get an Indycar drive, despite being Indy Lights champ!

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    Don't think Danny will be as cheap next year ,how many are paying drivers ?

11. Likes: Duncan (18th August 2014)
    Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    May the forza be with you

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01 View Post
    The rumour is that Fred is in negotiations for a new contract worth around 50 millions/year, or get the same amount from Honda/MacLaren. Perhaps MacLaren could consider Kimi instead?
    Kimi is already confirmed to race with Ferrari in 2015. It sounds like he will retire afterwards.
    :champion: 1990 BTCC-CHAMPION w/ 207 points and 9 race wins :burnout:
    :champion: 1997 BTCC-Total Cup for Privateer's CHAMPION :burnout:

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    I would have to say that, to a degree it depends on how badly a team wants a driver, and how badly a driver wants to be on a specific team:

Piero Ferrari said, "I hope Alonso remains at Maranello until the end of his career. I do not follow the chatter of the market," Ferrari, whose father founded the great Italian marque, told Italian insider Leo Turrini's blog. "I am not responsible for negotiations, I speak only of the value of the driver and I still think Fernando is the right man for our hopes.